Puppetry Companies

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that laws about starting companies vary by country, state/province and even city. Here in Ontario (which is similar to most US states) you can do business under your own name (i.e. John Smith) without a license but as soon as you're using a business name (i.e. John Smith Puppet Productions) an engaged in commercial activity like charging money for a show you're legally required to register for a sole proprietorship, "DBA" ("doing business as") or other business license.

Most cities have business registration info at City Hall or through a local chamber of commerce or entrepreneurship centre.

Another option if you're doing puppetry would be to see if you can qualify as a non-profit organization.

puppetguy

Reaction score
puppetry business license

I tried to apply for a business license for my puppet company in Alabama, but the only category I fell under was "transient and vaudeville companies," which would have applied at the turn of the 20th century. So the woman assisting me at the license office suggested I just not worry about it. That's Alabama for you: cross the state line and turn your watch back a century. I figure, I pay my taxes every year, that should be enough for Uncle Sam.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
puppetguy said:
I figure, I pay my taxes every year, that should be enough for Uncle Sam.
A-MEN!

(So much for the old "seperation of church and state" :smirk: :wink: )

gregbrady

Reaction score
puppetguy said:
I tried to apply for a business license for my puppet company in Alabama, but the only category I fell under was "transient and vaudeville companies," which would have applied at the turn of the 20th century. So the woman assisting me at the license office suggested I just not worry about it. That's Alabama for you: cross the state line and turn your watch back a century. I figure, I pay my taxes every year, that should be enough for Uncle Sam.
How Old r u puppet guy
:halo: