How did Pepe become so popular?

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember Pepe the King Prawn making his first appearance on Muppets Tongiht. He and an elephant named Seymour usually worked either the elevator or in the cafeteria. And they always had this singing and comedy act that wasn't very successful.

Now it seems like they've gotten rid of Seymour and Pepe has suddenly somehow joined the ranks of Kermit, Miss. Piggy, Fozzie, and Gonzo making it five head Muppets. I do think Pepe is cool, but I just wonder how he got to become a high ranking Muppet all of a sudden. It's kind of like how Elmo came on later in the Sesame Street series, but then somehow compelety took over the show.

rexcrk

Reaction score
Well, for one thing, Pepe is hilarious (IMO). And from what I've noticed, he's easy to work with, or write lines for.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For many, Pepe was the biggest highlight of the 1999 film Muppets from Space. He also was chosen as spokeshrimp for Long John Silver's in 2001. Both of these avenues along with Bill Baretta's comic timing greatly helped bring Pepe to the forefront.

fozziebearcub

Reaction score
He's Seymore
He's Pepe
We're two of a kind
I'm a little bit forward
and I got a Big Behind lolol

Poor Seymore, Prob still stuk in the elevator :attitude:

Still never for get the joke they told

What do you get if you cross an elephant and a rhino
EL IF I NO
Sad but true lol

Beauregard

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
Well, for one thing, Pepe is hilarious (IMO). And from what I've noticed, he's easy to work with, or write lines for.
Sure, just stick an 'ok' onto the end of any other sentance, preferably those sentances that should belong to Dr Teeth, or Sweetums, or Janice, or Floyd, or any others that ave suddenly gone missing, ok?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Pepe cracks me up. I do miss his buddy Seymour, but I've enjoyed Pepe's rise into the spotlight. He is very funny, okay?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

McFraggle

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Sure, just stick an 'ok' onto the end of any other sentance, preferably those sentances that should belong to Dr Teeth, or Sweetums, or Janice, or Floyd, or any others that ave suddenly gone missing, ok?
Yeah, I don't really dislike Pepe, but I would rather have :sympathy: :big_grin: :sing: :flirt: :cool: and some of the other older ones.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I think Pepe has become overused due to the fact the writers can write anything for him to say and do. It would really be interesting if the writers could make Rowlf and Scooter come back to the original six, that being Kermit, Piggy, Rowlf, Fozzie, Scooter, and Gonzo. And let's not forget the Electric Mayhem and other older classic muppets that have been there since the 70's. Somehow, I don't think Pepe should get in the way of the older characters but he does. Like I always say, blame the writers.

ryan

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Pepe is becoming (if he's not already) the Elmo of the original Muppets. Kids who get hooked on the Muppets these days will get hooked on Pepe and never have a clue as to who Rowlf, Scooter, or the Electric Mayhem were; much like kids watching SS don't have a clue who Prarie Dawn, Bert, or Fat Blue really are. Pepe, like Elmo, can be wonderful characters, BUT IN MODERATION!

Plus I just hate the fact that he takes precious screen time from other Muppets who have characters that go deeper than an accent and the Latino lady's man stereotype. I wish he'd just take a step back... or two... or three...

:smile: :mad: :embarrassed: :concern:/:rolleyes: