The Muppet Alphabet Album

Carcharius

Reaction score
Hi all....
Wondering if anyone can tell me where to find (or the original title of) a Sesame Street sings the Alphabet (or something like that) My kids had it in the early 90's late 80's but it is long gone now. It had songs like "Abc-Def-Ghi" sung by Big Bird, "La La La" by Bert and Ernie, "Would you like to buy an O" by the Spy Dude, etc etc....any help would be appreciated....I'd like to find it for my future grandchildren.

Thanks so Much
Jeff

smcguire

Reaction score
The album is titled "Sing the Alphabet" and it's still available on CD today - Amazon says "ship it in 24 hours."

--Scott M.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI: The original version of this record was issued/recorded/marketed in the 1980's titled "Sesame Street's Muppets Sing the Alphabet" or "The Sesame Street Muppets Alphabet Album". This original release does not have ABCDEFGHI sung by Big Bird, I should know since I still have that original record in my collection.
There was a second version recorded in the 1990's and marketed as a CD which does feature that additional song, as well as appearances by Elmo.

Oh, and the name of that character who sang the song "Would You Like to Buy an O?" is Lefty the Salesman.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, the first version ("The Muppet Alphabet Album") came out in 1971 as a Gatefold LP. Seperate letters of the alphabet were included along with a chalkboard type thing. In 1971, the letters were also broken up on 45's with 3-4 covered on each disc. Little letters were included with each 45.

In 1975, the album was reissued with a nearly identical cover and without the letters/chalkboard. The 45's were also reissued without the letters and just the records. It came out on cassette a couple years later in the late 70's.

I think Golden Music reissued it in the late 80's, then Sony Wonder put it on CD with the additional song in 1996.

Carcharius

Reaction score
Thanks so much all..... and my grandchildren will thank you too I'm sure.
Jeff