The Sesame Street 20th Anniversary Special

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The Sesame Street 20th Anniversary TV special was called "Sesame Street: 20 Years and Still Counting."
It was hosted by Bill Cosby and was produced as the last episode of the Jim Henson Hour, but meant to stand alone on its own commemorating Sesame's 20th birthday/anniversary. It even had Reporter Kermit interviewing different people and at the end of his segment, he gets a ride from Taxi Driver Grover back to Sesame Street. Ironically or funnily enough, Grover tells Kermit "OK. Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?"
Hope this helps and have a great day.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
well it was better than the stupid 35th aniversary special to begin with. the cast talked about being on the show and there were a couple of segment were a few kids who were on the show. 1 who was mentioned a 1 of the previous posts. John John who was in a few skit with the SS Muppets including a few with Harry such as were the 2 of them count to 20 and JJ counts in this deep voice between 11-20 and harry copies him. they were showing some of that incluing JJ who was probably about 20 in 1989. he was in the military at the time of special and Harry asked him about what he's doing and so forth. and if you rememebr shalla if that's how you spell her name and Fanny and after that Octapuss film was shown Kermit says that was a neat film and they hugged him. actually squeeze him. well after showing that 1 Kermit and the girls, they show Kermit dressed as he was when he did the SS news in Downtown NYC for something and who should come walking down the street? none other than Shalla & Fanny probably also in their early 20s. can't rememebr that exact words that were exchanged other than they said the Kermit they were S. and F. and at the end they squeezed him again. thney also showed the Mr. Hooper segment were Big Bird came to term of his passing. i'm sure it could of been better as always but you gotta admit this 1 was pretty good.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Shalla mentioned that she was a student at U.Texas on the track team.

Fanny was at the Wharton School of Business at U.Penn studying International Business.

This, of course, was back in 1989, so things could have changed.

And at the end, everyone sang "Sing."

What was really cool was that when they flashed each of the Muppets at the end, they had a little subtitle that said which Muppeteer was performing them.

For instance, when Ernie and Bert sang their verse of "Sing," the screen said: "Starring Jim Henson and Frank Oz" and then with Count, it said: "Jerry Nelson" and with Linda and Elmo it said: "Linda Bove and Kevin Clash" and so forth....

Xerus

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
well it was better than the stupid 35th aniversary special to begin with. the cast talked about being on the show and there were a couple of segment were a few kids who were on the show. 1 who was mentioned a 1 of the previous posts. John John who was in a few skit with the SS Muppets including a few with Harry such as were the 2 of them count to 20 and JJ counts in this deep voice between 11-20 and harry copies him. they were showing some of that incluing JJ who was probably about 20 in 1989. he was in the military at the time of special and Harry asked him about what he's doing and so forth. and if you rememebr shalla if that's how you spell her name and Fanny and after that Octapuss film was shown Kermit says that was a neat film and they hugged him. actually squeeze him. well after showing that 1 Kermit and the girls, they show Kermit dressed as he was when he did the SS news in Downtown NYC for something and who should come walking down the street? none other than Shalla & Fanny probably also in their early 20s. can't rememebr that exact words that were exchanged other than they said the Kermit they were S. and F. and at the end they squeezed him again. thney also showed the Mr. Hooper segment were Big Bird came to term of his passing. i'm sure it could of been better as always but you gotta admit this 1 was pretty good.
I remember that scene. When Herry saw John John in that military uniform. He said, "I guess they don't call you John John anymore." And (John) wanted to count to 20 with Herry again like old times. And so they did, and once they got to 20, they flashed back to John John being a kid again.

Splurge

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
What was really cool was that when they flashed each of the Muppets at the end, they had a little subtitle that said which Muppeteer was performing them.

For instance, when Ernie and Bert sang their verse of "Sing," the screen said: "Starring Jim Henson and Frank Oz" and then with Count, it said: "Jerry Nelson" and with Linda and Elmo it said: "Linda Bove and Kevin Clash" and so forth....
At first I was confused by the title "and Pam Arciero", over Telly while he was holding Natasha in his arm -- that's Kevin, isn't it? -- I thought. But now I think I get it, the caption was over Telly's right arm, operated by Pam.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Splurge said:
At first I was confused by the title "and Pam Arciero", over Telly while he was holding Natasha in his arm -- that's Kevin, isn't it? -- I thought. But now I think I get it, the caption was over Telly's right arm, operated by Pam.

That's correct.

The same thing happened when they flashed Cookie Monster, Grover, and Herry Monster.

Of course Frank Oz couldn't be operating BOTH Cookie and Grover at the same time right?

So that's why the caption showed: "And also starring David Rudman" because, I'm guessing, he was operating Cookie while Frank was doing Grover.