Avenue Q Not Touring After All

Jennifer12

Reaction score
Today on Playbill.com it was announced that Avenue Q will not tour as previously expected. http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86723.html

It will have a "permanent" home in Las Vegas. This is a bummer because a lot of folks hoping it would come to their town will miss out. I've been fortunate enough to see Avenue Q, and as someone who has worked in a theater that houses large touring productions, I can tell you that the show has the potential to offend a lot of the blue-haired matinee crowd. I saw dozens of people walk out of Rent, and Rent is tame compared to Ave. Q. I think it will find an interesting audience in Vegas. But I'm sad that it won't be coming here locally. And I'm bummed for all those folks who can't make it to NYC or LV to see it.

Las Vegas seems to be attracting more and more Broadway shows. I saw a show in London last year called We Will Rock You that was a musical built on the songs of Queen. I'd read that that show too was going to tour the US at one time but now its going for an open-ended run in Vegas. The Vegas folks seem to be presenting a lot of competition, but my understanding is that they want the shows to be shorter. I heard that a lot was cut out of Chicago when it was in LV. Evidently gamblers have a short attention span. Or someone thinks they do.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to reports from anyone who sees Ave Q in Las Vegas.

Jen

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I would be very surprised if Mirvish Productions doesn't license the show for a Toronto production. Virtually all of the "high concept" Broadway shows end up here, even if other U.S. cities are denied them.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I just read the article and it seems that they want the Vegas show to be exclusive...still, I'd bet that eventually it will end up in either Toronto or London for a major engagement, but looks like U.S. markets like Chicago and L.A. are definately out of luck.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
That stinks like the inside of a sweaty puppet!
:wink:

Well, this is good news for me, but bad news for just about everyone else. Sounds like it's good news for Ave Q.

There was an article on Yahoo explaining that they'll probably get more money out of it this way than on tour anyway...

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Buck,

I really do hope it comes to London, Im sure Ill see it alot!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Australia might be possible - it's not like a show in Sydney is going to cut in to the Las Vegas take.

goldenarrow05

Reaction score
This really came as a big suprise to me when i heard this. They must really have alot of confidence in the show though considering that they are building a brand new multi-million dollar theater for it.

Oh well, I guess those of us that cant make it to NYC or LV are just going to have to wait for the TV show expected sometime around late 2005 or 2006.