Anyone into the Christopher Guest films?

P

Princeton

Ah yes, these are a HUGE part of my life. For those of you who don't know, these films are known as "mockumenteries" and are completely improvised. There are 3 so far: Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, and A Mighty Wind. Anyway, let me know if you've seen them and we can chatter about them.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
You forgot This Is Spinal Tap. No Guest fan should go without seeing that. :cool:

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I really am happy some others at MC are into Christopher Guest.Tap is one of my favorite comedies.I love Best in Show too.Chistopher is so multi-talented.Very unappreciated in my opinion.Glad he makes his on films.I love his wife Jamie Lee Curtis too.I loved Christopher also in: Little Shop of Horrors,The Princess Bride and A Few Good Men.

"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported."

Nigel Tufnel:
The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [Pause] These go to eleven.

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
I'm a HUGE fan of Christopher Guests work, i think my all time favorite is probably Best In Show- just because the character development is so great in that one. Waiting for Guffman is pretty high on my list as well

P

Princeton

No offense, JaniceFerSure, but I wouldn't consider This Is Spinal Tap to be one ONLY because 3 people from the ones I just mentioned appear in it and they would of course be Chris Guest, Harry Shearer, and Micheal McKean a.k.a. The Folksmen. Of couse, I probably have no right to say anything since I haven't seen it. :embarrassed:

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
No offense taken.This Is Spinal Tap was created by Guest and McKean( & Shearer)which started it all,same cast as Mighty Wind.In Tap,the group were folk singers,before they became Tap.Please watch it,then comment,ok?McKean was also in Best of Show.Guest uses some other repeatative cast members in Show,Tap,Guffman,and Wind; such as:Fred Willard,Bob Balaban,Eugene Levy,Parker Posey,Larry Miller,Paul Benedict(to name just a few).Just FYI.:zany:

P

Princeton

JaniceFerSure said:
Guest uses some other repeatative cast members in Show,Tap,Guffman,and Wind; such as:Fred Willard,Bob Balaban,Eugene Levy,Parker Posey,Larry Miller,Paul Benedict(to name just a few).Just FYI.:zany:
Yes, I knew that. Parker Posey is my fav! :flirt: BTW, my favorite is Waiting for Guffman.

Libby:He wants to be alone right now...SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP! :big_grin:

Also, what is the plot of This Is Spinal Tap?

P

Princeton

Wow, kinda sounds like the end of Waiting for Guffman when Guffman doesn't show up for the play; they(Corky, Ron, Sheila, Dr. Pearl, and Libby) just have to start their lives over doing things that may be enjoyable to them(like Libby going back to DQ) but isn't as good as going to Broadway.

That's just my take on it; still haven't actually seen Tap. Thanx, Diana!