Fraggle DVD coming this summer in the US

Let HIT know how much would you would pay for a 24-episode Fraggle season box set.

• I'd pay up to $39 per box set

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • I'd pay up to $59 per box set

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • I'd pay $79 or higher for a box set

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • I wouldn't buy a box set at any price

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

anathema

Reaction score
Gobo_Tron2 said:
I hate to bit nitpicky (I'll definately be buying the DVD anyway to give HIT some incentive), but why release only 2 episodes on a DVD? I completely understand the economic logic in doing this with VHS tapes, since when those are made only the amount of magenetic tape needed to fit the content on is used in the tape - thus saving the company lots of money in the long run. But this doesn't make sense on a form of media that uses the same amount of physical material no matter how much or how little data you place on it. Does HIT have to pay royalty to Henson per every episode they put on the DVD?
More episodes = more time involved in authoring the disc. Professional DVD authoring is a time-consuming business - believe me, I know!

But yes, the more shows they put out, the more it will cost them more in royalties.

Oliver

Reaction score
No, HIT! does not pay any royalties to the Jim Henson company if they have purchased a licensing contract to the series, which as far as I'm aware, they have. I believe they now own full distribution and merchandising rights, and possibly production consent as well though I'm not sure what the contracts between the companies stipulated...

The authoring, mastering and restoration = more time, effort and money.

This is where my main objection with this project lies. If they are not willing to invest the time and effort to give the consumers what they've been asking for, well... I've said it all before.

Gobo_Tron2

Reaction score
The other question I'm still waiting for (gonna find out whan that first DVD is on the shelves) is whether or not the editors are going to decide to get... creative. "Hmm... this scene isn't really needed." I don't want another Tristar-butcher incident.

anathema

Reaction score
Oliver said:
No, HIT! does not pay any royalties to the Jim Henson company if they have purchased a licensing contract to the series, which as far as I'm aware, they have. I believe they now own full distribution and merchandising rights, and possibly production consent as well though I'm not sure what the contracts between the companies stipulate.
They will have to pay what are called 'residuals' to the performers. These are based on screen time.

petrieboy

Reaction score
Thank you Oliver! You said everything I feel and more.
I always pictured Fraggle Rock coming to dvd in a hard foam "rock" box set with every season crammed in. I imagined that the extras would include every episode of the short-lived Fraggle Rock animated series that came on Saturday mornings. This is far from what I had pictured.

Gobo_Tron2

Reaction score
Exactly - why bother buying the rights to it if they're just going to sit on it and not do anything with it? Then again it's not their fault that NOW of all times, Walmart is deciding to a jerk and ruin their day. Is Henson about to get bummed out by bad timing AGAIN?

Foodie

Reaction score
Gobo_Tron2 said:
Exactly - why bother buying the rights to it if they're just going to sit on it and not do anything with it? Then again it's not their fault that NOW of all times, Walmart is deciding to a jerk and ruin their day. Is Henson about to get bummed out by bad timing AGAIN?

Why can't you guys have some form of patience about this whole thing? None of you know how this is gonna work out.

And is there anyway to stop getting email notices about this thread? I'm getting sick of all the whining.

Nick :smirk:

Gobo_Tron2

Reaction score
Hiiiiiissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...............

(decided to do something other than whine :stick_out_tongue: )

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Foodie said:
And is there anyway to stop getting email notices about this thread? I'm getting sick of all the whining.
My sentiments exactly. Thank goodness each email has a bottom link that you can click on to unsubscribe to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.