Sesame Muppet Ages

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
So apparently, Ernie and Bert really are ageless, as are Guy Smiley, Telly, Kermit the Frog, and Oscar the Grouch,
Though we all knnow that Kermit is actually now about 50.:smile:

Reaction score
Ages...

Psycological age, set age, and actual age are three different things. Just because a charachter is written to have a certain mindset doesn't mean that it reflects how old the character reall is. For example, Ernie and Bert are simplistic characters that display the same issues that 7-year-olds might have (about sharing, attitudes, hobbies, etc.) But the guys are presented as young adults living on their own. And, like most Sesame muppets, they've actually been in existence for nearly 40 years.

BTW, Oscar is quoted as being 43 years old. :grouchy:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well like I said, the information I posted came from the wonderful book Sesame Street Unpaved.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, I consider they do the same with Grover what Warner Bros. does with Porky Pig. Remember in some of his earliest appearances, he was represented as a kid. Yet in other cartoons, he's clearly an adult. I guess the Sesame Street writers do the same with Grover. They go with whatever situation works. The same can be said with Bert and Ernie, since they also have both adult and childlike characteristics.

LincolnHeights

Reaction score
That's true Daffyfan. Also there's been other charachters who have seemed to age backwards. When Herry Monster first joined the show he was an adult monster, sometime in the late 80's they changed him to being a "child" monster, and he appeared to be more innocent than he used to be. He also had a friendlier look on his face and not that permanent frown that he used to have. I guess the old Herry was probably scarring a lot of kids watching the show, and they wanted to change him to show kids that he wasn't scary, and that he actually had a lot in common with them. JMO

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's something interesting...

As I posted, Sesame Street Unpaved says that Prawnie Dawn is written to represent the age of 7, however last night while going through some tapes I came across a little bit where Prairie (backed up by the Oinker Sisters) was singing about all the things she can do once she turns 6.

So guess that means Prairie's really 5 going on 6.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
BTW, Oscar is quoted as being 43 years old

Or maybe, a 6 year old who ACTS like he's 43. Just a thought there. :stick_out_tongue:

I used to think that Big Bird was a female adult. Yeah I know, but come on, I was only what, 4 or 5 when I thought that.

Ernie does seem like an adult, especially when he's giving demonstrations.