Weird Sesame reference in Powerpuff movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, you're probably asking why I saw the Powerpuff Girls movie. I like the show, it was a bargain seat ($4.50 vs 9.00), and I didn't want to see Scooby Doo.

But anyway, I saw this movie wednsday, and there was this one scene where the girls are alone, outside watching TV through a store window. After they leave, there's a special report. And I couldn't beleive it. They used the "Sesame News Flash" symbol, the thundercloud and the lightning bolt.

Also, in an episode entitled, "The Rowdy Ruff Boys" Bubbles crashes through a store, and says, "Sorry Mr. Looper." The shopkeep replies, "That's Cooper! Cooper" If you don't get that, you're on the worng board.

Besides, now I have a link. Gendy Tardikoffski (sp) and Crag McCracken, two guys that work on Powerpuffs and Dexter's Laboratory, have a few links (far ones anyway) to the Muppets. Firstly, Rob Paulson is a regular voice actor on both shows (he was even in the movie). As we know, Rob was the voice of the animated version of Boober the Fraggle.
Secondly, Fuzzy Lumpkins (a powerpuff villain) was based on Sweetums (The interview I read of Craig said Precious, but I have no idea who that is), while I hear that the "Puppet Pals" (intervels on Dexter) are based on Ernie and Bert.

Lastly, Paul Williams was a geust voice on Dexter (he played Dexter's piano teacher). And, Paul not only wrote music for TMM (and MCC) but had a cameo in it as well. He also was a guest star on The Muppet Show.

MIKEB97

Reaction score
I love Powerpuff Girls! I thought the Sesame references in the episodes were funny. Remember Jim Henson's agent, Bernie Brillstein? In an episode about the girls making a movie, they had a film agent named Bernie Bernstein. Bernie's had an assistant looked like Frank Oz without glasses. Some of the monsters the girls fought looked like monsters from SS's early days.

beaker

Reaction score
it amazes me how powerpuf girls are still big on cable and now have their own movie, when wayyyy more edgier and cooler stuff like invader zim and non kiddy anime (powerpuff is just a cheap rip on the anime thing) gets put into late night or obscure time slots. grrrrr

Drtooth

Reaction score
Powerpuff Girls is not really an anime rip-off, so much as based on classic 1960's style of animation harking back to the days of UPA's Gerald McBoing Boing. Anime is, however used her as an homage, or parody. I like the show becasue I like the creator's work. The show was much edgier when it was first created, under the title "The Woop*** Girls." Besides, Cartoon Network runs completely different from Nick. In case you forgot how harshly they treated Ren & Stimpy. Probably why Zim was given the boot. Had it been on CN, however, I bet they'd get a movie and merchandising as far as the eye can see as well. But what do I know? I'm the only one in the entire world that likes Cartoon Cartoons (It's so lonely here. I feel like Cow and Chicken was made just for me!)

Besides, they made it, someone has to like it!

dirtygulch

Reaction score
i think thats cool that the latest cartoon is paying homage to sesame.