Favorite Animal Films

Frazzle

Reaction score
I always did like the flamingo clip. I remember thinking they were the strangest birds I ever saw. When you are about 4 or 5, a pink bird, with long legs, that eats with its head upside down seems kinda surreal.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
more faves

Recently I visited the Philadelphia Zoo, and each animal I saw had its own music, and the memories just came flooding back to me.

Gazelles
Seahorses
Peacock
Lions
David singing "Who You Lookin' At, Tiger?"
Pelicans
and my all-time favorite "What do you do, when you're a kangaroo?"

and Mr. Raposo really went out on a limb singing "Dressed Up" to accompany the film of all the birds. :smile: :smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
remember this ginney pig film with the young babies and the song i think was called new life comming?

Xerus

Reaction score
I really liked the jackrabbit film. The way it kept running while stopping to wiggle its nose for a second. And that fast paced music was neat too.

Nickrj

Reaction score
I don't know if someone mentioned it already but wasn't there a film with babies and baby animals walking or something? I think I remember that one.

Nick Johnson

Ziffel

Reaction score
I liked the one with the roadrunner on the desert. A woman at the beginning says, "Roadrunner." Then a roadrunner runs quickly with fast paced music accompanying it. After the bird stops, the woman repeats, "Roadrunner" and the bird takes off again. I had mixed emotions about this film as a small child when I frist saw it. Having seen the Looney Tunes cartoon with the coyote and roadrunner, when I first saw this SS film I was pretty excited to learn that there really is a bird called a roadrunner. But at the same time I was a little dejected that the real bird, while fast (about 15-20 miles per hour) doesn't run nearly as fast as the cartoon bird! Of course, they are called roadrunners because of their frequent running on the ground to catch prey (instead of flying) in addition to their fast speed. By the way, remember "The Electric Company" made some roadrunner and coyote cartoons? Maybe it was SS, but I strongly think it was TEC. (If someone on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" called me for their phone a friend lifeline and asked me, "Which of these PBS shows had their own coyote and roadrunner cartoons? I would say "The Electric Company". And when they asked, "Okay, how sure are you?" I would say, "About 90%").
And let me quickly mention another SS animal film. It was pretty brief. It showed a gazelle or antelope running and a girl says, "Fast." Then it shows the animal running faster and the girl says, "Faster." And then it runs really really fast (wonder if they simply just sped up the film?) and the girl says, "Fastest." I liked the increasing intensity of the music that accompanied the speeds of the animal.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
those EC cartoon you're referring to were actually the LT carttons? as for the SS Road Runner film that was Maria saying what it was and she only said it once.

DerekJ

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
and Mr. Raposo really went out on a limb singing "Dressed Up" to accompany the film of all the birds. :smile: :smile:
I was going to say the one with the polar bear sloshing in his pool to a dogged old park-bandstand French horn of "Beside the Seaside", but...thanks for the memory-jogger.

(And yes, "There's a Bird on Me" has been duly noted.) :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
those EC cartoon you're referring to were actually the LT carttons? as for the SS Road Runner film that was Maria saying what it was and she only said it once.
I was pretty sure she said "Roadrunner" at the beginning of the segment and before her started to run again the second time. The music plays fast during each of his sprints. And yeah that does sound like Maria. Did she also say "Peacock" at the beginning of the peacock film? Sounds like it could have been her there too.
And no the EC coyote and roadrunner cartoons were their own (just like their spidermans were and just like the batman cartoons on SS were their own). I am very vague on the specifics of what happened on those cartoons. I believe they were somewhat educational, which makes sense for this kind of show. I think the roadrunner held some signs up for the coyote to read or something like that, in one of them. Of course, they also had a humorous aspect to them too. In one of them I recall the coyote was busting out laughing. Not sure why. Maybe a sign said laugh. :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
There's one from the early 70's I got a kick out of but I'm not exactly sure what kind of animals were in it. Orangutans maybe? It showed a bunch of these sitting around and maikng very interesting (and funny to a small child!) noises. Sounded like, "Myu! Myu hoo!". They all kept doing a sound like this until near the end where the sound shifted to like, (this is going to be VERY hard to describe in typing) "bloo o woy bloo o woy!"