Some people are so closed minded

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Something I just don't understand about my mother. She's been nagging me about watching Fraggle Rock lately. She tells me it's not normal for a guy in his 20's to be into a little kid's show. She thinks I need psyciatric help. Something she fails to realize is the magic of Fraggle Rock and how deep that show really is. It may be a kid's show, but I think adults can understand it better, cause the messages that show sends out are so powerful. Some of those episodes were very deep and emotional. I will name a few:

The Minstrels
The River of Life
Gone But Not Forgotten
Change of Address
Wembley's Wonderful Whoopie Water

She just doesn't understand the prominent messages sent out from this show's episodes, she has it labeled as a simple little "baby" show. Now how can it be a "baby" show, when a baby wouldn't even understand the serious messages that are being sent out. I just don't get it. Has anyone else ever had these problems with Fraggle Rock?

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I haven't personally had problems with the Fraggle Rock situation,like you have but I can relate.If I may be brief. You see,I've watched Muppety mediums(Sesame Street,The Muppet Show) since the early 70s(I still watch Sesame Street).As you can tell by my age,I'm no youngster,lol.I used to watch The Muppet Show & my dad used to say,"There she goes,watching those talking hands again." I watched it anyway,always ignoring him.I've seen basically every Henson creation,not ashamed of if. The way I look at it is point blank,I'm a kid at heart.I've never seen,ever seen anything Muppety(especially The Muppet Show,Fraggle Rock,The Jim Henson Hour,Muppets Tonight,Faffner Hall,etc...) as children's shows(maybe only Sesame Street is). The medium may be 'childish' to our parents,because that is how they understood it when they were young(they were growing up on Howdy Doody & Kukla,Fran & Ollie). Continue to watch Fraggle Rock & be proud! At least you recognize the message,lesson,value,etc... and overall beauty of the show. One thing I can suggest is to let you mom watch Fraggle Rock with you.Describe the Fraggle Universe to her.Tell her why the show makes you feel the way it does.Tell her what you learn from it.Please tell her also,that Fraggle Rock is a human metaphor;teaching about how difference shouldn't matter,that we all need to get along to survive(no matter on your looks,size,smarts,etc...)Good luck. Great to see your a Fraggle Fan!:excited: :smirk:

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
Though not nearly as bad, my family and friends share the same outlook on Fraggle Rock as being a kid's show and can't understand why I still watch the Muppets even now that I'm in my early twenties. I'm often told, quite plainly, to 'grow up'. But I never will. I love the Muppets, from Fraggle Rock to The Storyteller and beyond.

Most people just don't understand the magick of the Muppets. They're blind to it. Instead, they see only what's in front of their face - talking puppets singing and dancing, and to them that's just silly and childish - and silly and childish things should be put away at a certain age, in their mind. It's really not their fault. It just means we're younger at heart.

Don't stop watching Fraggle Rock. Follow your heart for it always know the right way.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
It annoys me how many people, (non muppet fans) think The muppets are for kids, anyone who knows even a minor bit about the muppets should know that The Muppet Show was more intended for an adult or family audience. You only have to watch a few episodes of the muppet show to see this for yourself. Even Sesame Street which is made for kids is still entertaining to adults and thats the magic of it. there is no age limit when it comes to the muppets!

Danny Horn

Reaction score
Andy, you do need psychiatric help. Not because you're a Fraggle fan, but because you have trouble dealing with your anger. You've sent me at least two death threats so far, and I know other people that you've threatened too. I hope your mom succeeds in getting you the help that you need, before you hurt somebody.

There's no shame in seeing a psychiatrist. I think that would be a big help for you.

-- Danny

McFraggle

Reaction score
Muppetsdownunder said:
It annoys me how many people, (non muppet fans) think The muppets are for kids, anyone who knows even a minor bit about the muppets should know that The Muppet Show was more intended for an adult or family audience. You only have to watch a few episodes of the muppet show to see this for yourself. Even Sesame Street which is made for kids is still entertaining to adults and thats the magic of it. there is no age limit when it comes to the muppets!
I completely agree Muppetsdownunder. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Danny Horn said:
There's no shame in seeing a psychiatrist. I think that would be a big help for you.

-- Danny
So did your mom tell you that too then? :embarrassed: