Do you like Disney owning the Muppets?

Lisa D

Reaction score
I have to admit, i am not really on board with the Disney takeover. Yeah okay, Jim Henson was talking to them about a deal before he died, but he was also planning to be alive when the deal went through. And if being under the Disney banner is so fab, then why did they work so hard to get out of Disney control only to end up back again?
Yes, I realize Disney ownership also means seeing muppets more often, and I am looking forward The Wizard of Oz. Nevertheless, I still have misgivings. The muppets seem to be heading back to doing adaptations instead of original scripts and that makes me kinda sad. They are at their best when the stories are their own.

McFraggle

Reaction score
Lisa D said:
I have to admit, i am not really on board with the Disney takeover. Yeah okay, Jim Henson was talking to them about a deal before he died, but he was also planning to be alive when the deal went through. And if being under the Disney banner is so fab, then why did they work so hard to get out of Disney control only to end up back again?
Yes, I realize Disney ownership also means seeing muppets more often, and I am looking forward The Wizard of Oz. Nevertheless, I still have misgivings. The muppets seem to be heading back to doing adaptations instead of original scripts and that makes me kinda sad. They are at their best when the stories are their own.
I think the jury is still out on the deal, but I agree that they have always been at their best when they do something original, i.e. "TMM." :smile:

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
OK, ignore my previous post. I have changed my mind entirely. I now love Disney owning the Muppets. I cant believe I just said that; but here's why...

1) I live in the UK, and we dont get a lot of Muppet coverage over here. The Disney Channel will probably start showing Muppet Movies

2) Already there are Piggys and Kermits at MGM Studios. I think that now they will stretch across all of the parks and they will possibly have Fozzies and Gonzos too

3) Last night I went to see Toy Story on ice and realise now that they're like a big family. Disney is the main family. Pixar is like the grandparents you always look forward to seeing purely because of the £5 you get afterwards. And Muppets are now the wacky cousins!

4) The Disney store now have Muppet Plushes! Wow! Its absolutely everyone...

Kermit
Piggy
Gonzo
Fozzie
Bunsen and Beaker
Statler and Waldorf
Sam Eagle
Swedish Chef
Rowlf
Animal

I honestly trust Disney on this one. But if they kill the Muppets.... Tutter will get mad!!! :cry:

Oh... I have a 5th point!

5) They dont show Sesame Street (aka The Elmo Show) over here anymore. If Disney buY SS they can show it on Playhouse Disney. And they might add them to Playhouse Disney Live!

WOCKA2416

Reaction score
TuttertheMouse said:
OK, ignore my previous post. I have changed my mind entirely. I now love Disney owning the Muppets. I cant believe I just said that; but here's why...

1) I live in the UK, and we dont get a lot of Muppet coverage over here. The Disney Channel will probably start showing Muppet Movies

2) Already there are Piggys and Kermits at MGM Studios. I think that now they will stretch across all of the parks and they will possibly have Fozzies and Gonzos too

3) Last night I went to see Toy Story on ice and realise now that they're like a big family. Disney is the main family. Pixar is like the grandparents you always look forward to seeing purely because of the £5 you get afterwards. And Muppets are now the wacky cousins!

4) The Disney store now have Muppet Plushes! Wow! Its absolutely everyone...

Kermit
Piggy
Gonzo
Fozzie
Bunsen and Beaker
Statler and Waldorf
Sam Eagle
Swedish Chef
Rowlf
Animal

I honestly trust Disney on this one. But if they kill the Muppets.... Tutter will get mad!!! :cry:

Oh... I have a 5th point!

5) They dont show Sesame Street (aka The Elmo Show) over here anymore. If Disney buY SS they can show it on Playhouse Disney. And they might add them to Playhouse Disney Live!
Disney won't buy SS...The Sesame workshop is very happy to own them finally.

McFraggle

Reaction score
WOCKA2416 said:
Disney won't buy SS...The Sesame workshop is very happy to own them finally.
They would if they could, but they can't. :wink:

Bubbadog

Reaction score
Yep

I don't want them to kill the Muppets either. But like I said, I will wait to see what they have in store for them. Maybe we can expect a new show? As was teased about before the sale.
I would much rather see a straight up Muppet story as well, the adaptations were funny, but did we need another Christmas Carol or Treasure Island?
If they use the Muppets to their potential without removing their soul, I will change my opinion on Disney.
But maybe now that the backing is there, having Disney on the Muppets side won't be so bad. Disney has the money and obviously knows how to promote. Maybe this is the 'umph' they need to make a comeback and stay that way!
Kermit is on the same iconic level as Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny, as long as I can remain patient I won't lose my mind over this. Michael Eisner better not mess with my childhood. LOL I think the man was obsessed. The Muppets were his 'holy grail' as it were.

Hmmm, I will think on that one. :confused:

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
This could be the biggest mistake ever or the final push to get the Muppets back on top of the media world. Either way, there is no happy medium with this one. I suppose we cant criticise yet, we'll have to let Wizard of Oz be our judge. If its as good as it's hyped up to be; this will be one of the greatest Muppet moves since Jim Henson stuck eyes on his green sock!!

:stick_out_tongue:

McFraggle

Reaction score
I agree, until we see the finished product it will be hard to judge the movie.

Reaction score
When I saw this forum I was like wow.

But, It will NEVER saw Disney's Muppets. Disney did not buy the name Jim Henson. Also Disney dosen't want to take away Jim Henosn's Name.

So Muppet Fans Don't Worry about ever seeing Disney's Muppets. You Never will.

Reaction score
NO!

While I love Disney, I think it is trying to have a total monopoly on entertainment...I refuse to accept Mickey and Minnie encrouching on Bert, Oscar, Kermit and Elmo's Territory.....Heck, I was even a lil upset when I found out about the Sesame Street albums released on Walt Disney label back in the early 70s!!! GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY :grouchy: