CGI Muppet Babies Show?

Gusworld

Reaction score
Though nothing is certain until a show is actually announced, there are a number of assumptions we can very safely make about a CGI Muppet Babies production:

* No-one will feel any obligation to cast either the classic Muppet performers or the original voice artists from Muppet Babies in the new show. Odds on, they'll get a bunch of professionals who we've never heard of, but who are all based in the one place. Simpler and cheaper that way.
* No-one will feel any obligation to replicate the exact character line-up of the previous show. The target audience for this kind of show will be toddlers and young children who probably won't remember the earlier series. Even if that kind of audience does get accustomed to repeats, they're less fussy than us fan types.
* We shouldn't assume that the central conceit of the previous series -- long excursions into the babies' imaginations -- will be maintained. All that film integration work would make the show more expensive, so it could well have more conventional storylines. (This is more of a speculation than the other two points.)

One of the factors that makes a new MB series likely is that kids who grew up watching the show are now parents themselves. Lots of other 80s cartoon series have experienced a revival, so MB is definitely a possibility. But most parents will have little more than a vague nostalgic memory which might make them more likely to push their own offspring in the direction of the new MB. And as for us obsessives? We'll watch the show regardless of how it changes, so why worry too much about us?

Cheers
Gus

McFraggle

Reaction score
Gusworld said:
* No-one will feel any obligation to replicate the exact character line-up of the previous show. The target audience for this kind of show will be toddlers and young children who probably won't remember the earlier series. Even if that kind of audience does get accustomed to repeats, they're less fussy than us fan types.
I've actually wondered about this as far as how a new line-up would look. I would of course prefer the original group but it wouldn't surprise me if they did change it. I figure Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Piggy, and Animal are all safe bets. As far as the other three spots, who knows? I would love for Rowlf to be on the show, but it wouldn't shock me if he, Scooter, and Skeeter were dropped in favor of some of the new batch. :frown: Pepe I figure would be a likely replacement.

GonzoRizo

Reaction score
I'd love it if it was true. It would be so cool if Rizzo joined the gang as a baby he's one of my favorite Muppets along with Gonzo. I think it would be so quit if they had the whole buddy, buddy thing going on between the two like they do in the Muppet movies/show. Also I'd love it if they expanded on the Skeeter/Gonzo relationship thing I'm probably crazy and am the only one here possibly who believes in that relationship but I think it would be quite if they were to become a couple in the possible series. My username is after my two favorite Muppet characters Gonzo and Rizzo just spelt the rats name wrong dang it.

MeepEeep

Reaction score
They redid Care Bears in CGI. So it's not a surprise, they'd try to update Muppet Babies in the same way.

I mean, who knows...it could be better. :confused:

zanimum

Reaction score
MeepEeep said:
They redid Care Bears in CGI. So it's not a surprise, they'd try to update Muppet Babies in the same way.
The Care Bears look fantastic CGI, and move fairly naturally too.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
CG Muppet Babies?! Good lord...

I am all for a new endeavor involving the integration of CG and puppetry, but why bring the Muppet Babies into it? Playing off name recongition? Come on people...

If this were to be an entirely new project, fine, I'd be interested. But to rehash the Muppet Babies in this form seems utterly ridiculous. Perfectly in line with the downward spiral Muppet productions have been taking.

I think this is a perfect example of a time to ask yourself WJDT?: Would Jim Do This? I have to think absolutely not. I'm praying that this becomes little more than an MC rumor. :attitude:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, unless they use the Waldo technology, and make this a puppet/CGI blend, I wouldn't mind too much... but since you seem concerned this is no more than a rumor that's all bark and no substance. Nothing came out of it either way, so this probably will not happen at least anytime soon...

BTW, these plans have been around even before the Disney deal, and other than the oz movie, no other pre-Disney deal has hit yet....