PBS shows

mikebennidict

Reaction score
while i'm not saying there's anything really wrong with it, it seem like these days many of it's shows are cartoons and in the 70s and 80s, there really wasn't any such shows. at least not to my knoweledge i wonder why?

baby sinclair

Reaction score
seeing how many parents feel safe letting their kids watch pbs with out extreme violence or potty humor.Also many of their shows have been very successful and have become classic house hold names.For example sesame street,barnie,teletubbies,Lamb chops,shining time station and many of the contemporary shows.And with noggin being such a success we all knew sooner or later pbs would follow in its foot steps.Any way i'll cut the lecture hope i helped :wink: .P.s more kids watch tv now a dayz than they did back in ye olden dayz

mikebennidict

Reaction score
also it seem like PBS mostly caters to the pre-school age where as in years past they would air programms more older kids like TEC and Zoom. zoom's about the only such show for older kids but as I said it won't be on much longer it's no longer on WTTW's schedule.

Rosewood

Reaction score
I've noticed this, also.........

I've noticed that most of the old shows, such as Mr. Rogers Heigborhood, have been shoved to times like 4 a.m., and, like Mike said, almost everything shown at prime time durring the day is usually cartoons or pre-preschool material. The only explanation I can see for this is that school is now starting a bit earlier than it used to, so by 8 a.m. the only kids left in the house are usually kids that are preschool age or younger, so these are the kind of shows they air. Where I live, SS airs at 7 a.m. and at 1 p.m. which leaves me asking this: if SS is going to gear its contents toward such young kids, than why do they only show it at times when these kids are either still asleep, or are taking naps?:confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Pesronally, I love the cartoons (most of them, anyway, Caiulou is crap, and Clifford was funny at first, now it wears thin on my patience).

I absolutely cannot stomache half the crap they have on the network right now. Sure, we have SS and a few good others, but everything else seems like a flavor of the month that has long since past expired. Telitubbies is pure garbage, not even fit for slow witted 2 year olds. Boohbah's even worse. And Barney? What is up with Bareny and Power Rangers still being popular? 1993 ended 13 years ago! Seems like they're making retroeducational shows. Not "retro 70's style", I mean shows geared to make kids less smart.

However, I see they are making strides of sorts. There's something called "the Big Big world" or something. I saw a small portion of it, and it seems like Henson quality puppetry. They finally pulled the plug on Jay Jay the airplane, for the first time in history, replacing a forgettable Thomas Tank Engine wannabe with the actual Thomas the Tank Engine show (definately not thrilled with the new narrator, though).

But other than that, I'm glad those mid90's barney ripoffs and Whimsy's house haven't been festering on that station for years.

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I've noticed that most of the old shows, such as Mr. Rogers Heigborhood, have been shoved to times like 4 a.m., and, like Mike said, almost everything shown at prime time durring the day is usually cartoons or pre-preschool material. The only explanation I can see for this is that school is now starting a bit earlier than it used to, so by 8 a.m. the only kids left in the house are usually kids that are preschool age or younger, so these are the kind of shows they air. Where I live, SS airs at 7 a.m. and at 1 p.m. which leaves me asking this: if SS is going to gear its contents toward such young kids, than why do they only show it at times when these kids are either still asleep, or are taking naps?:confused:

On our stations here (and I get satellite) Mister Rogers is always on right before Sesame Street. So it can be watched at 6:30 AM, 11:30 AM, or 2:00 PM.

BEAR

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Pesronally, I love the cartoons (most of them, anyway, Caiulou is crap, and Clifford was funny at first, now it wears thin on my patience).

I absolutely cannot stomache half the crap they have on the network right now. Sure, we have SS and a few good others, but everything else seems like a flavor of the month that has long since past expired. Telitubbies is pure garbage, not even fit for slow witted 2 year olds. Boohbah's even worse. And Barney? What is up with Bareny and Power Rangers still being popular? 1993 ended 13 years ago! Seems like they're making retroeducational shows. Not "retro 70's style", I mean shows geared to make kids less smart.

However, I see they are making strides of sorts. There's something called "the Big Big world" or something. I saw a small portion of it, and it seems like Henson quality puppetry. They finally pulled the plug on Jay Jay the airplane, for the first time in history, replacing a forgettable Thomas Tank Engine wannabe with the actual Thomas the Tank Engine show (definately not thrilled with the new narrator, though).

But other than that, I'm glad those mid90's barney ripoffs and Whimsy's house haven't been festering on that station for years.
Not that I am a fan or anything, understand that Power Rangers should stand apart from Barney and SS and Clifford, etc. because it is not meant to be educational childrens programming. It is a super hero action show just like Batman or Spiderman or something aimed at elementry kids. It is bad though.:stick_out_tongue:

Rosewood

Reaction score
We have USDTV

BEAR said:
On our stations here (and I get satellite) Mister Rogers is always on right before Sesame Street. So it can be watched at 6:30 AM, 11:30 AM, or 2:00 PM.
Where I live in Utah, it doesnt matter weather you get sattelight, cable, or USDTV. The channels that show SS and PBS programs are part of the regular channels. I sure wish they would start showing the programs the same way you get them! We seem to get more innendated with things like Boohbah, Telletubbies, Barney, Postcards from Buster, Bernstein Bears, Arthur, Caillou, Clifford, Cyberchase, Dragontails, and Myah and Miguel, most of which get repeated at least once durring the day. Don't get me wrong, some of these are good, educational shows. But if anyone out there is a "Mister Rogers" or "Zoom" fan, I highly suggest you start recording every show possible. I know for a fact that this is "Zoom's" last season, and something tells me "Mister Rodgers" is not far behind.:frown: :cry:

Drtooth

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Not that I am a fan or anything, understand that Power Rangers should stand apart from Barney and SS and Clifford, etc. because it is not meant to be educational childrens programming.
I should have been more clear. I did NOT mean to mention it as an educational program (especailly those hypocritical "don't use violence" messages at the end of the show). I mentioned it as crappy fads from the 90's that never died, because the kids that like them aren't old enough to know they were around forever.

BTW, the first cartoon series that aired regularly on PBS was the Magic School Bus. I used to like it quite a bit, If I can remember.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Where I live in Utah, it doesnt matter weather you get sattelight, cable, or USDTV. The channels that show SS and PBS programs are part of the regular channels. I sure wish they would start showing the programs the same way you get them! We seem to get more innendated with things like Boohbah, Telletubbies, Barney, Postcards from Buster, Bernstein Bears, Arthur, Caillou, Clifford, Cyberchase, Dragontails, and Myah and Miguel, most of which get repeated at least once durring the day. Don't get me wrong, some of these are good, educational shows. But if anyone out there is a "Mister Rogers" or "Zoom" fan, I highly suggest you start recording every show possible. I know for a fact that this is "Zoom's" last season, and something tells me "Mister Rodgers" is not far behind.:frown: :cry:
what makes you think that about Mr. Rogers?