Puppetsnstuff Puppets

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
Hey, Ravage, thanks. I'll look into the ping pong balls. I DID use them once, but, couldn't seem to break or cut them in half as neatly as I wanted to. You would think that the styro foam would cut worse, but I've been pretty good at it so far. I like the fact that the styro foam balls come in different sizes, and even egg shapes, giving varied eye shapes. The velcro tabs for pupils work EXACTLY like the tabs you were talking about (the ones that you use on furniture). I got the idea for the velcro from David Pannabecker's video, and several Henson muppet builders who I know. Mr. Pannabecker's video is how I learned to build puppets at first, but then I started to come up with my own way. Talk soon. ...Pauly

http://stores.ebay.com/PUPPETSNSTUFF-PUPPETS

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
PaulyPuppets said:
Basically, what I offer is the chance for the average person who can't afford a $3,500 puppet (I swear, that's actually what we spent for each puppet from my old TV show "Jelly Bean Jungle") .
Hey, didn't Paul Fusco (ALF) work on that show with you? I know we've discussed my pal Bob Kimball--as a matter of fact, I watched several episodes of Jelly Bean Jungle on a video he had.

But, I thought I remembered Bob once saying Paul Fusco worked on that show.

Kev

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
Hi, Yes I remember you. No, Paul Fusco never worked on the show. The puppets, however, were built by Bob and Lisa Fappianno, the people who designed and built (and even helped to puppeteer) ALF. Perhaps that's what Bobby meant....Pauly

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I guess that's what he meant then.

So, what ever happened to Jelly Bean Jungle? Obviously it's over now. Did you ever keep any tapes of the show?

Treelo

Reaction score
PaulyPuppets said:
Hey, Ravage, thanks. I'll look into the ping pong balls. I DID use them once, but, couldn't seem to break or cut them in half as neatly as I wanted to.
For ping pong balls, try using a small curved scissor. (The same type of scissor that is often used for trimming fleece.) Using the end of the scissor, puncture a small hole in the ball near the seam, then slip the scissor inside the hole to begin cutting using the seam as your guide. Once the ball is cut in two, use the scissor to trim the edges for a clean look. You'll also need to trim one of the balls so they match in size.

Painting the ping pong balls is simple - they usually don't require sanding, and I find that flat white Krylon works well. There is also a new line of spray paints designed for painting plastics that have worked well for me. :wink:

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
Fozzie, ....Yeah, it aired from 1995 - 1997 in US syndication. Some foreign countries have pirated copies which air overseas (that stinks, huh?). I will begin selling the episodes on DVD in my EBAY store in a week or so. Thanks for asking. ...Pauly

PS: Hey, Treelo. Thanks for the advice on cutting the ping pong balls.

http://stores.ebay.com/PUPPETSNSTUFF-PUPPETS

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
PaulyPuppets said:
Hey, Ravage, thanks. I'll look into the ping pong balls. I DID use them once, but, couldn't seem to break or cut them in half as neatly as I wanted to.
I've had this problem too - I've seen ping pong balls cut perfectly in half and I don't know how people manage it.

What about using half-dome eyes? They come in a variety of sizes and are pretty cheap; I think they cost $1.50 or so per pair if you buy them wholesale.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Treelo said:
For ping pong balls, try using a small curved scissor. (The same type of scissor that is often used for trimming fleece.) Using the end of the scissor, puncture a small hole in the ball near the seam, then slip the scissor inside the hole to begin cutting using the seam as your guide. Once the ball is cut in two, use the scissor to trim the edges for a clean look. You'll also need to trim one of the balls so they match in size.
That's a good idea.

Treelo said:
There is also a new line of spray paints designed for painting plastics that have worked well for me. :wink:
Is that the new Krylon paint for plastics? Have you tried it on a large plastic surface without sanding?

Treelo

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Is that the new Krylon paint for plastics? Have you tried it on a large plastic surface without sanding?
Yup. I recently used large plastic Easter eggs for eyes - using the rounded half of each egg. I hadn't used easter eggs in the past because they didn't sand well, and without sanding the paint would chip.

So far, the new Krylon paint has worked just fine. It does leave an odd texture/finish, but overall it has been quite satisfactory.