The 2nd Annual BT Puppet Building Contest

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
...it's baaack!

Yup, it's time for the 2nd Annual BT Community Puppet Building Contest. This grew out of discussions here in the MC Forum last year and it's hosted over at my site because, well, I got stuck organizing it. It's alot of fun with people building puppets and sharing pictures and last year was a big success with about 12 twelve entries and 500 people viewing and voting for them. I wanted to get the ball rolling early this year in the hopes of a bigger than ever turn out.

So in case you weren't around when this was happening last year, here's how it works:

1. Build a puppet, or alternately go get a puppet that you built sometime during the last year.

2. Take a few photos of it (try to make them nice and purdy, put your puppet in silly/zany/funny poses!)

3. Email two or more photos to me at contest@bear-town.com before October 8th.

4. Vote for your favourites at http://forum.bear-town.com October 9-22.

The winner of the contest (the one who gets the most votes) gets a small prize package of Puppet Building Stuff (I don't have the complete list of prizes finalized yet - but it will be worth $200 US or more).

Also, though they don't know it yet, the puppeteers and builders who help me do my web series Bear Town will be judging the entries independently and awarding an especially spiffy "Mystery Prize" to someone. We're not going to tell anyone what our judging is based on, but it's fair to say that the less Muppet-like it is better!

The puppet you enter can be any style (hand rod, marionette, sock puppet, etc.) but it must be original. For legal reasons no Muppet replicas or puppets based on famous charcters will be accepted (sorry!!).

You have to be registered at my forum (http://forum.bear-town.com) to enter or participate, but it's easy and painless to sign up.

Full details are available at http://www.bear-town.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101

*Oh, those of you who entered last year may recall that I promised everyone who entered a Bear Town T-Shirt once they are available. I haven't forgotten and I'm happy to report that after umpteen delays my online store is going up later this week so I'll email everyone involved instructions to get their free shirt. Thanks for your infinate paitience! :smile:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but I'm in it for the T-shirt! :excited: :stick_out_tongue:

Can't wait.... but can't beleive it's already been a year! Wow! :eek: Hey Buck, if you have a button then go ahead and e-mail it to me and I'll put it up on my "Build Your Own Page" to help advertise the contest.

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
Are puppets, whose mouths are "er,...sloppy" allowed, Buck?

puppetpackpepe

Reaction score
your puppets mouth's aren't sloppy! they're just square. I love the paintball game box inside my puppets mouth :wink:

Im entering my first puppet. It stinks, but it may get somewhere. :stick_out_tongue:

vote for "Mr. Brimley" everybody!

PaulyPuppets

Reaction score
LOL. Thanks, Cody. I'm just kidding with BUCKY anyway.

Square mouth made by a square dude like me. ...Pauly :smile:

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Is there a limit on the number of puppets we can enter? I built two in the past year.

Thanks!

Grant
throwingtoasters.com

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
thatonekid said:
is there an age limit? :confused:
Not in any practical sense, although legally if you live in a state or country that prohibits people under the age of majority from entering a contest you would be disqualified but since this is a judged contest and not a random draw thing I can't think of a place in North America where that is the case.

Except, oh, maybe Nebraska. :stick_out_tongue: (kidding!)

ToasterBoy said:
Is there a limit on the number of puppets we can enter? I built two in the past year.
Nope, although in theory the more entries you have the more you're splitting the number of potential votes you can get. Last year someone else I think technically had as many or more votes than Ryan, but they were split between two different entries. I personally would suggest not submitting more than two.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
*Oh, those of you who entered last year may recall that I promised everyone who entered a Bear Town T-Shirt once they are available. I haven't forgotten and I'm happy to report that after umpteen delays my online store is going up later this week so I'll email everyone involved instructions to get their free shirt. Thanks for your infinate paitience! :smile:
Just to clarify because there was some confusion on the Bear Town forum, the T-shirt thing is something from last year. After the contest I indicated I wanted to send those who participated (last year) shirts as a thank you, but it was delayed because it took forever to get my web store up and running.

Unfortunately it would be very, very expense to do that again this year, much as I'd like to. If there are just 20 entries it would be cost me over $500 to send out shirts :eek: so it's just not possible.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Unfortunately it would be very, very expense to do that again this year, much as I'd like to. If there are just 20 entries it would be cost me over $500 to send out shirts :eek: so it's just not possible.
Okay, thats it! I'm not playin! :mad:

Just kidding Buck..... just kidding. :big_grin: I like the idea of submitting more than one photo of our puppets in real life situations, it makes viewing all the entries even more fun! Terry Angus is so good at telling a story with photos, I always enjoy his Ebay auctions and the personality he reveals in the description.

So, YAY! Can't wait to see what people come up with!

-Michele