Something I've been wondering about Beaker

Drtooth

Reaction score
THis has been on my back for a while, but I've never been able to post this.

Is Beaker's frantic "meee meee meee" speach inspired by Shemp Howard (of the Three Stooges)? I remember reading that Richard Hunt liked imitating Stooge Routines to entertain his coworkers during breaks (from the Of Muppets and Men book), so I could tell he ws a fan.

Or could it all be a coincidence? Just want to hear some analysis on this. :eek:

LiLdUcKy

Reaction score
I also have a question about Beaker. How was he brought up in the Muppets, or was he aways in the Muppet's group?

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
LiLdUcKy - Beaker was introduced as Bunsen's lab assistant in the second season of The Muppet Show, although in later seasons he was "promoted" to helping Beauregard as a stagehand.

Drtooth - I think it could be a coincidence (didn't Steve Whitmire or someone say in an interview somewhere that they had no idea where Beaker came from in Richard?). Then again, this is Richard we're talking about... :wink:

-Kim

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
I think (having NOT read Of Muppets and Men) that Beaker's meep-meeps are an alien language understood only by the few, from a planet where everybody meep-meeps. This language comes from the planet Test-Tube (just jotting ideas in), where everybody looks like Beaker, kinda like Gonzo's home planet in MFS! Any help?

BJ

Drtooth

Reaction score
I doubt the alien language theory, but good guess.

I think that the mee mee comes from the fact that Beaker's a mousy person... very shy and standoffish, yet a complete push over. I think it is pretty much inspired by Shep, not just an impersonation, myself...

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I think it's interesting that Bunsen always seems to know what Beaker is saying.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Maybe Bunsen was the one who took Beaker back to Earth.

Theory proven.

BJ

Whatever

Reaction score
Beakerfan said:
I think it's interesting that Bunsen always seems to know what Beaker is saying.
Not always. He thinks Beaker wants to help in experiments when Beaker tries to get out of it. I think he hears what he wants to hear.