Monsters are fun

ElijahTheSane

Reaction score
hello again, I must say this is a very supportive group. and i see now why it's so big, making puppets is like eating chips you can't stop at one. since my last post i've built a few more puppets, probably will end up doing some shorts with them.

http://www.elijahatkins.com/wip/monster1.jpg
http://www.elijahatkins.com/wip/monster2.jpg

I'm still figuring things out, but i can't quite figure out how to make a seamless looking skin for a puppet head like Professor Bunsen Honeydews head, is it just a complex pattern of fabric sewn together, or do people just use solid foam and paint it?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Bunsen's head has been discussed before but I can't remember how it was done (anyone want to take this one??) but the real trick is the fabric. You need to use antron fleece or another material made from high-pile (long) fibres to get seamless heads. There are some kinds of polar fleece I've used that if you use it with the underside out it will make seams nearly invisible too.

You can also carefully design and pattern heads so that seams are covered by noses, eyebrows, hair, etc. Some of the Muppets like Piggy are made from molded foam and then flocked so they look fuzzy.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
well bunsens head is hand sculpted from a very soft foam rubber block , i have never seen the same kind of foam in a store,it was ordered special at the workshop , same stuff was used on the background or generic pigs in the muppet cast, it is smoothed out and then flocked ,

ElijahTheSane

Reaction score
hmm, Flocked eh?

this just brings up more questions
and after searching the forum i know what flocking is, so i don't need to ask that one.

now comes the fun part, how to flock without buying a $500 device (

off the top of my head i'd say i'd want to dye my molded foam head the color of the flock(don't want any bright yellow spots under the bad flocking job)

then for the flocking, i suppose i'd take a razor to a fleece and save the lint

then to apply it probably a strong spray adhesive

then to apply it i could a) roll the head around the flock
or b) put the flock and the freshly sprayed head in a box and use an air compresor to hopefully cover the head

if anyone else has tried something simular to this let me know if it works at all

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You could try using a compressor for the flock after spraying the head with Super77. I've never tried that so I'm not sure if it would work or not.

I believe there are small flocking wands available for around $200; a lot of money but much cheaper than $500. Ravagefrackle probably knows more about this than I do, but I don't think it's possible to flock heads very well without a flocking wand. There is an old method they used to use for flocking in 20s, 30s and 40s, but it's incredibly unsafe by today's standards.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
You could try using a compressor for the flock after spraying the head with Super77. I've never tried that so I'm not sure if it would work or not.

I believe there are small flocking wands available for around $200; a lot of money but much cheaper than $500. Ravagefrackle probably knows more about this than I do, but I don't think it's possible to flock heads very well without a flocking wand. There is an old method they used to use for flocking in 20s, 30s and 40s, but it's incredibly unsafe by today's standards.
well as for cost , i think to buy a basic kit you will need to spend about 500 dollars, we used what is called electro staic flocking, basicly charge the flock head and the flock - and + respectivley., you cover the head in a mix of flock glue with acrilyic paint mixed into it, mixed to the same color as the flock you dyed.

the you take the wand with a basket on it, and shake the flock that is charged onto the head the static causes the flock to stand up straight, once it is covered you let it sit , and dry then u have a flocked head.

as to buying the stuff, flock is only sold in bulk at least were i have seen it online, which means you have to buy a minimum order , im not sure of the wieght limits but beacuse it is so light , you end up witha ridiculous amount, and flock glue is also hard to find a supplier for,which is whay i havnet done any since i left the last shop i worked at.

good luck

ElijahTheSane

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
There is an old method they used to use for flocking in 20s, 30s and 40s, but it's incredibly unsafe by today's standards.
and THAT is why i need some minions

Beebers

Reaction score
ElijahTheSane said:
and THAT is why i need some minions
Will you have those raw or fried, and is that order To Go?

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

buckshot

Reaction score