Muppet DVDs: Widescreen vs. Pan and Scan

dlphntat

Reaction score
2 movies that would have convinced me (were I not already sure)
were Multiplicity and League of Their Own.
Watch those on TV sometime and watch the way the view shifts all over the screen and see if that doesn't do it.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
dlphntat said:
Most of us remember movies from seeing them in a movie theatre, so seeing them in 'pan and cram' really changes the way they look.
There is a great example of the differences between here atTHIS LINK
Widescreen format shows the movies in the way they were intended to be seen, and shows you more of the movie. Just my 2 cents.
The first movie I watched in widescreen on video was Jurasic Park.Takes a while to get used to the difference at first,but it makes such a difference in the final product when you watch it.I've tried to always get my videos/dvds in widescreen & skipped a few just because they weren't.:smirk: Whenever any the muppet movies come to video,would be nice.

King Jim

Reaction score
Muppetsdownunder said:
Theres a widescreen release of muppet treasure Island here in Australia.
In England too. I think.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I used to be anti-widescreen 'cause of the "black bars" at the top and bottom. Then I realized (by I think looking at an article here on Muppet Central) that Widescreen is much MUCH better :big_grin:

I'm still trying to convince some of friends that widescreen is better :smile:

homerthegreat

Reaction score
I used to think that, too rexcrk, until a friend showed me the light...yes, widescreen is much better...

:smile:

McFraggle

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
I used to be anti-widescreen 'cause of the "black bars" at the top and bottom.
That used to be my biggest gripe with widescreen too. :smile:

Exatron

Reaction score
muppet_fan_1 said:
Why prefer widescreen anyways? I'd much ratehr have fullscreen anyday. Why have a big TV if you're only going to use part of it?
Why prefer pan and scan? "Fullscreen" almost always removes large parts of the picture. Why would you pay to see only part of a film? It would be like going to a movie theater with blinders on. Pan and scan isn't even the way the people who made the movies wanted them to be seen.

abkeating2000

Reaction score
Widescreen VS Pan and Scan

In USA are people actually able to get widescreen TVs yet or have they not caught on? Last time I was there I don't remember seeing any. UK is much, much bigger on widescreen TVs, so no black bars. Well I do get black bars when I watch "fullscreen" DVDs!!!

The difference between the full and wide screen was really bad on the last Xmas movie. I didn't get why all the extras showed the film in the correct ratio, but the film itself was hacked into fullscreen. The UK DVD was fullscreen (as is the UK MTI) but without the extras for some reason (copyright?). Fullscreen versions of movies really bug me in a way that I know is just plain wrong and obsessive :wink:

Andrew