Disney CEO Eisner to Step Down in Sept 2006

beaker

Reaction score
Movies205 said:
The common misconception about Eisner is that he's a terrible guy who ruin things at Disney. SImply not the case, he made Disney what it is today along with Frank Wells and Jeff Katzenburg. Well Frank died and Jeff left to go make Dreamworks and Eisner was never the creative guy, he was the buesiness guy so in essence Eisner over-stayed his welcome at Disney.
In the animation department, even tho Disney has oddly enough given up 2d animation, they and Pixar smack Dreamworks up an ddown in the cgi department. I absolutely cnanot stand Dreamworks animation, so Disney has something going right.

Perhaps in a few years we as fans can see if indeed, Disney has done well with the Muppets. When I see stuff like "MWOZ" I shudder to think what other unfortunate things Disney has planned, but I also have hope that one of their blind darts will land on the target.

Movies205

Reaction score
beaker said:
In the animation department, even tho Disney has oddly enough given up 2d animation, they and Pixar smack Dreamworks up an ddown in the cgi department. I absolutely cnanot stand Dreamworks animation, so Disney has something going right.
Dreamworks and Disney animation are very different, or I should say Pixar since Disney animation department gone to crap but perhaps Valient and Chicken Little will change my mind. Dreamworks is much more superficial and relies more on pop-culture jokes, hip new songs, and much more in the now with popular voice actors, so it has an immeidiate cool factor going for them and are a lot of fun to watch the first time but with repeated viewing you see how shallow it is, also they become very dated but the animation itself is top-notch. Pixar is not as funny and perhaps not as entertaining first time around but it has more heart and is the better movie and can be watched hundreds of times.

Perhaps in a few years we as fans can see if indeed, Disney has done well with the Muppets. When I see stuff like "MWOZ" I shudder to think what other unfortunate things Disney has planned, but I also have hope that one of their blind darts will land on the target.
THe problem with the muppets is there from a bygone time, I mean people complain about cartoons not being mature enough and what not but we have mature cartoons just look at Justice League or any of those cartoons but because they don't swear or have tons of sexual references there not "adult". We've become too black and white as a society and the fact remains we've become far too desentized, the muppets will sucede if people let go of nostaglia and are willing accept a mature show that doesn't resort to fart or sex jokes unfortunately i don't see this happening which forces Disney into making it very kiddy-friendly crap and Muppet Wizard of Oz was too much in the direction of Dreamworks instead of Pixar and it fell flat on it's face

Movies205

Reaction score
I don't hate disney merely pity them but sooner or later someone will come in with vision and clean up shop but I really don't care there is nearly a 100 years of material for us to watch, nearly 30 years of the muppets, who really cares anymore if they come out with new material? Perhaps it's time to rewatch what we already and really rediscover what we've taken for granted.

beaker

Reaction score
The constant of the moment pop references really dates material fast. Another reason why the Oz thing was such an embarassment.

I said this in 1998 on here, and I'll say it again...there will always be two camps of Muppet fans...those who see the Muppets merely as 'nostalgia'...and those who love the nostalgia but also see the Muppets as ever current. To me no matter how run into the ground and sterilized they may become with Disney, the Muppets to me are hip and current. It's too bad people cant pull themselves out of the 70's variety show era.

Yeah not only do I not like Dreamwork's of the moment constant pop references in their film, I absolutely hate the pastel look of their cgi. To me Chicken Little actually looks like Pixar, and I am interested in seeing it...certainly way more than that Cars film. Again tho, it's ironic Disney has abandoned what made them(2d animation)

And on a seperate but related note, Tazarn 2, despite beign a straight to video sequel, actually has some pretty darn cool theatrical quality animation.

Movies205

Reaction score
beaker said:
The constant of the moment pop references really dates material fast. Another reason why the Oz thing was such an embarassment.
I agree there as I said in my original psot Dreamworks animated films have no replay value but on the flip-side they bring in easier and more profitable returns in the short-run but in the long run as has been seen with the exceptionally low dvd sales of Dreamworks Animated films it's not a good stratgy.

I said this in 1998 on here, and I'll say it again...there will always be two camps of Muppet fans...those who see the Muppets merely as 'nostalgia'...and those who love the nostalgia but also see the Muppets as ever current. To me no matter how run into the ground and sterilized they may become with Disney, the Muppets to me are hip and current. It's too bad people cant pull themselves out of the 70's variety show era.
Good Point but if you don't mind I like to add a new camp something that has plagued the muppets for the past 10 years and is a product of the desenulation of our society whcih is that people see the Muppets as a kids thing because it doesn't ahve sex and fart jokes something Wizard of Oz try to do but fell flat on it's face because that's not what make the muppets adult.

Yeah not only do I not like Dreamwork's of the moment constant pop references in their film, I absolutely hate the pastel look of their cgi. To me Chicken Little actually looks like Pixar, and I am interested in seeing it...certainly way more than that Cars film. Again tho, it's ironic Disney has abandoned what made them(2d animation)
I disagree here but each his own another thign is the Cars film doesn't look all that great but it's being directed by John Lasseter right off the bat it deservse a shot.

Muppetfreak

Reaction score
Say what you will about Eisner, but I have always gotten the impression that he loved the Muppets as more than just dollar signs. Why the heck else would he have found for them all this time when to many they were dead a buried.

I am a total Disney fan-girl because I think whatever their current bumps they are still king, but I am worried about Eisner stepping down.

I always felt like he was the one in our corner who knew the Muppets as they are truly meant to be rather than as kiddie shows.