Communism

AndyL

Reaction score
Malachy said:
I believe in Communism in theory, but Democracy in all practicality.
The two aren't mutually exclusive. They're not even comparable. The former is an economic system and the latter is a political system. You could have fascist capitalism or democratic communism just as much as the other way around.

So, is Fraggle Rock supposed to be alluding to a working Communist state?? I'd heard this before but wasn't sure...can one of you experts fill me in?
I don't think even the Fraggles themselves gave much thought to economics, none of them have much and they're happy with that. Food is the only resource they worry about and that's plentiful!
How can you have an economy if nobody has anything and nobody wants anything?

Politically it seems to be roughly the same story, sort of a loose town-hall type setup that none of them seem to worry about. But the World's Oldest Fraggle seems to wield some authority simply by virtue of not having died yet.
My dictionary tells me that a government ruled by it's oldest citizens is a 'gerontocracy'.

Anyway, I'm far more confused the Doozers' economy.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
The Smurfs are more Communist the fraggles are more A Caste System where everyone has the place and the can't escape it

Barney

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
The Smurfs are more Communist the fraggles are more A Caste System where everyone has the place and the can't escape it
Ditto.