What is meaningful about your puppet?

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Millie and Mollie Mice

I am glad I found this thread, because my two mice in the picture carry alot of sentimental value to me.
It was not until I read your moving account that I realised that puppetry too has been a source of great comfort and diversion during the most challenging moments of my life, when all else has failed me!
These mice starred in the first full length puppet musical play I staged about 5 years ago. The kids that worked them begged to keep them and took them home for weeks after the show, they were so attached to them. I ended up making them their own replicas to keep!
My dear daughter, Stef and I do daft squeaky voices for them, Mollie is bossy and Millie is silly! They are in every show we do, although I have had to re-make them as they were getting worn (loved!)
The orijinal Mollie is now one of our demo puppets when we tell our story of puppetry to the schools we visit, she has a really flexible mouth and pulls naughty faces at my co-puppeteer, Cathy! The children roar with laughter!
They are not the cleverest or most attractive puppets I have made, but they are loved, have personality, and are famous in their own right in our neighbourhood!
Best of luck, and thanks for bringing back memories!
(By the way, did your little girl become a puppeteer, Puppetplanet?)

Jinx

Reaction score
I actually have two stories, but I think I'll share this one, at least for now.

The year was 1980. I was a senior in high school and I just didn't feel like going to school. I told my mom that I was sick and stayed home. After a morning of watching game shows, I got inspired to do something that on the surface I shouldn't have, but turned out to be one the best things I’ve ever done.

My older sister had a Fisher-Price stuffed Kermit (before they came out with the similar puppet) which I took (without her permission) and carefully opened the seam in the back and unstuffed him to see if he’d work as a puppet. He did! Since my mom really loved “The Muppet Movie” and especially “The Rainbow Connection”, I called the radio station and requested the tune so I could record it. Next I took a jar lid and a tongue depressor and fashioned a banjo for him. Using a coat hanger I made an arm rod. I spent the rest of the day training my left hand how to strum the banjo correctly while kermit sang the song. (lip sync was easy for me, strumming, not so much!)

When my brothers and sisters got home from school I showed them what I had done and asked them to help me surprise my mom. We pushed a big chair into the corner to use as a stage. As soon as my mom came in the door my sister started the tape and I performed the song for my mom. The best part was that she had had a really terrible day at work. Probably the worst she’d ever had. When I peered out from behind the chair at the end of the song, she was just standing smiling in the doorway, still holding the armload of stuff she’d brought home, and tears were streaming down her face. It was a day that was much better spent “playing hookey” than I could possibly have spent at school.

My mother passed away last year after a 15 battle with Alzheimer’s. At her memorial service I recounted this story, and I used my much nicer “Applause” Kermit puppet to again perform the song for mom. I think she would have smiled.

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Jinx, that is a lovely memory, and what a wonderful way to remember your mum.
Have you got any more puppet "stories"?

Jinx

Reaction score
Well, since you asked...

Obviously puppetry has been an important part of my life for many, many years. When I was 9 I got my first puppet, an Oscar the Grouch (which I still have 30+ years later!). I would occasionally make my own puppets to play and/or perform with.

In the early 90's a friend of mine and I had a show that we would perform in elementary schools teaching various safety concepts. She and I both have backgrounds in theatre and in education, so it was a great match. I suggested including a puppet sketch in each show, which proved to be a great way for her to interact with a more "conceptual" than "actual" character.

After my partner moved away I stopped building puppets altogether. I always had ideas for puppets, and I would buy fabric, foam, and whatever else I found that I thought would be good for a puppet. But somehow I was always afraid to "waste" these materials.

About 4 years ago I had a profound experience while performing a play with my church. At that time, God made it very clear to me that my primary function in life is to make a difference in other peoples' lives through theatre.

So a little over a year ago, I came to realize that I was under a spiritual attack regarding my creativity, making me afraid to actually build any of my ideas. It seemed that I was just in the habit of buying supplies, but never using any of them.

So stepping out in faith I decided that succeed or fail, I would at least make something . So I found the Gray Seal Foam Book and video, and started to work. The result you actually see in my avatar.

His name is Gabe, and there's a bit of a story there too. In 1990 I made my "signature" character Garth. I named this new creation Gabe. These names come from a man I met for only one day in 1978. It was my second day on the job, as a stagehand. A singing group, "The Heritage Singers" was performing on my stage. One of them was a man named Garth Gabriel. He was so nice to me, just showing kindness to me whenever possible. At the end of the evening, he gave me a $5 tip and a copy of their album, and I've never forgotten him. So when I made my little green monster, I named him Garth. Then all these years later, when I rediscovered my ability to build puppets, I decided that Gabriel would be the ideal name.

It just goes to show that daily we make an impact on peoples' lives. We may never know it, but people may remember their encounters with us for the rest of their lives!

(If you'd like to see some of my puppets, they can be seen at http://home.mcn.net/~fantom/puppets.html)

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Jinx,
I am really glad I asked, I have been much the same, with boxes and boxes of fabric, costumes and "stuff". Just no real direction to go with all of it. I thought God wanted me to find my direction with puppet ministry, but for one reason or another it just didn't work out. What it did give me was a new career, purpose and a way to share with others that I never would have before. I provide the odd bit of children's entertainment at church when asked, but no longer feel that I must use everything I do in evangelising. I have had many challenges and blessings since it all started and the greatest gift was the strengthening of my own faith!
I wish you all the best with all you do, you seem to have had a go at most things, and I hope that you realise your dreams!
God Bless!
Whatadoddle

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Brilliant web pages, really liked "Walter", I am sure he has real personality in performance!
Best Wishes
Mandy

pheonix

Reaction score
Hee hee hee!! I like Walter too looks like he has a right old character! :smile: