Puppetry College

Iokitek

Reaction score
I guess I'd have to agree. I have no education whatsoever because I simply never finished one. I was always doodling etc. instead of making homework anyway. I don't really believe in diploma's. I believe in skills. Wich I am developing right now using my own funds. It's a slow process because of that. But that's partly my own fault because I didn't spend all the money I had on it. Wich I do plan on doing from now on.

I'd highly reccommend not getting into debt. It's not worth it. Especially not for puppetry wich you're better off teaching yourself as RF has just described. I'd say buy some books and some materials and start testing. Join a puppet guild/troupe/whatever and practice puppeteering that way. I even made small rod-arm sockpuppets for a few bucks that don't look great. But they are nothing more than 2 socks, a piece of fur for hair and 2 eyes. It hardly costs anything and you can practice puppeteering with it so you know if it's actually the thing for you before you get all the way in debt and find that you have no talent whatsoever. Have you ever sculpted or anything like that before? What kind of 'artistic' background do you have? I would never get into dept for it, that's for sure.

Like RF said, Buck has alot of info on his site wich you might find usefull. You might also find out other prefferences for yourself wich allows you not just to copy the Muppets. This style is already being used by so many people and won't make you money or get you a job.

I myself am looking into sculpting and making latex 'masks' operated by crude animatronics. That's already different than your average run o' the mill Muppet. There are lots of different puppets ranging from glove/hand puppets to marionettes. Perhaps you should orientate yourself abit more on all these things before you make a huge decicion to get yourself into debt so you can be taught by people who probably failed at their profession themselves and are now pushing their own failed ideas and dreams onto you (no offense, that has been my past experience with teachers). For money even! That's how I see school. Although some others might disagree with me on this. I see it as a waste of time and money. If you want to become a puppeteer that is. I'm sure it's different in other professions :wink:

Also. Do you want to become a puppetbuilder/puppeteer? Or do you just want to work with the Muppets or on Sesame Street? In that case :smile: I would just build some puppets and shoot alot of audition tapes. They are not impressed by diploma's I'm sure. They want to see what skills you got. Not who reccommends you. They could not care less about that. If they even need people that is. Wich they just don't at the moment.

I don't want to disencourage you. Because dreams can come true :smile: But I just advise you to think before you make decisions that might influence the rest of your life. Like getting yourself in debt.

puppetguy

Reaction score
"This style is already being used by so many people and won't make you money or get you a job."

Heh...neither of those conclusions is true.

Puppetry is one of the few forms remaining in which the best method of learning is by apprenticing. Books are good and can be helpful, but nothing replaces being taught by a pro. That's my suggestion. Find a puppeteer whose work really speaks to you (one still living would probably be more helpful). See if that puppeteer would allow you to visit their studio/workshop. Most "blue-collar" puppeteers I know are more than happy to open their workshops to folks eager to learn about puppetry. Also, the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta, GA often offers internships. Go see live puppetry. Lots of it. But decide what you want from puppetry. Is this a career move? Do you want to be a freelance puppeteer full-time? Even this is something that UConn can't prepare you for. Strictly learn-as-you-go. People seem to have this misconception that becoming a Muppeteer equates with job security. As RF pointed out, it does not. Its all project-to-project.

"taught by people who probably failed at their profession themselves and are now pushing their own failed ideas and dreams onto you"

I don't know who your teachers were, but..heh...eeesh.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Well that's what I gathered from hanging around here. I'm not saying that Muppet style puppeteers could never really make any money or get anywhere. But since there is so much 'competition' this is only a logical conclusion to me.

My experience is actually that most puppetbuilders closed their doors for me instead of opening them. They do not have time to show everything to someone else. And apparently no time to answer emails either. I live in the Netherlands. And I know this is the case here. I've already sent out emails to all the puppetbuilders here with the request to take a look around in their shop, see what they do. But without any result. Once one of the companies here did reply to me that they would be glad to show me around. But when I actually contacted them again to make an appointment I never heard from them again. It's just the sad truth here. But hey, perhaps it's different in the US and you people are alot nicer there :smile:

I know some people have actually been invited to shops in the US etc. So I would definately give it a try if you live there. Apparently there is much more chance to succeed in contacting someone when you live there.

Most of my teachers were just bitter people who tried to prepare me for 'the real world' while all they ever really knew about the real world was their classroom and ancient rules and regulations that didn't make any sense to anyone but themselves. I'm not saying that there aren't any good teachers out there. Because I've had them aswell at times. But it has been my experience that most of them were just on somekind of powertrip and yes, were actually failures in their field of profession. Just being honest and sharing my experiences here. I wasted alot of precious time and money on education during my youth wich would've been better spent at home educating myself. But instead I got dragged along with the general norm. Most people I know here have never been educated. They've just been trained and cannot think for themselves anymore.

But like I said :smile: I don't want to crush anyone's dreams... What never worked for me might still work for you anyway. And perhaps I'm just abit in a negative mood right now so you shouldn't listen to me anyway :wink: It's not like I know about everything that goes on in the US schools and companies. Perhaps other people are abit more qualified to give advice in this case.