Does SW still own rights to retired characters?

salemfan

Reaction score
Does Sesame Workshop still own the rights to characters that are no longer on the show, such as Sam the Robot, Roosevelt Franklin, and many others?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
but how can they own the rights to characters that do not exist anymore?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
They do own the rights to all of the original characters. Just because they don't exist now doesn't mean that they shouldn't exist. Gladys the Cow made a comeback two years ago, and several were brought back in the November issue of SS Magazine. Heck, even Guy Smiley's made a comeback (in the magazine). They were created for SS, and will remain to be associated with SS.

pennyring

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
but how can they own the rights to characters that do not exist anymore?
Don't copyrights extend for 75 years? Regardless of whether or not the copyrighted item is in use, the copyright is still in effect.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
So Sesame characters can last up to 75 years?

:sing: --Hallelujah. :big_grin:

pennyring

Reaction score
I think you can get extensions on the copyrights by filing in court. Didn't Disney just have to do that a last year for Mickey Mouse?

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Don't copyrights after a certain time expire and privately owned items become public property?

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Infinity Sirius said:
Don't copyrights after a certain time expire and privately owned items become public property?
Don't quote me on any of this, but I believe copyrighted works are protected for the life of the author plus 70 years. Or, in the case of corporate ownership (such as the Sesame characters) copyrights are good for 95 years.

There's a lot of other issues involved such as when the copyright went into effect. If any of this is wrong, let me know...it's been a while since b-law in college.

pennyring said:
I think you can get extensions on the copyrights by filing in court. Didn't Disney just have to do that a last year for Mickey Mouse?
You can't simply file an extension. Disney actually got the law itself changed to keep Mickey and other characters out of the public domain. Of course, it's easy to do that if you have a few extra million for lobbying Congress.