Speech Problems

HarveyK

Reaction score
Why has it been the trend for the past few years to introduce muppets with speech issues? The babytalk is awful to listen to. I'm rather new to MC, has this been discussed before? As an educator, this irritates me. (Mostly Baby Bear)

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Was it irritating to see the episode where some kids make fun of Rosita's accent?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I always found it weird that they teach and reinforce bad speach and improper use of english.

For example: Baby Bear can't pronounce things right (or should I say "wight"); Elmo talks in third person all the time (GelflingWaldo finds this annoying); Cookie Monster does not use proper english at all (me noticed this even when me was child). With an audiance of children who are still developing speach paterns and habits I find it odd they have characters who promote bad speach.

DTF

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Cookie Monster does not use proper english at all (me noticed this even when me was child).
LOL, great line, it certainly does show the comedy of it.

I find a difference, though, between Baby Bear's and Elmo's/Cookie Monster's speech. The letter sounds don't always come in all at the same time. *However*, it is something that can be worked on, and I would hope that now tht Curly Bear is clerly aged a year or so, we would see Baby Bear work ont ht now. Perhaps a 2-part episoe like the "Invisible snuffleupgus" (sp?) one where he does work hard to get it corrected, to show the children how they, too, can overcome such problems.

However, Elmo's speech goes way beyond just a letter sound that hasn't come in yet, and is usually corrected by age 2.5 if not before. I guess CMs can be excused by the fact he is supposed to be more monster-like and monsters aren't supposed to talk right :smile: (I can just see myselfsaying when I have kids, "Well, dear, Cookie Monster is allowed to eat like htt because he's a monster, he eats and talks like a monster, but we use table manners when we eat.")

HarveyK

Reaction score
Accents aren't annoying.

I have no problem with Rosita or the way she speaks. As an educator and parent, I do find that it is irresponsible to reinforce speech impediments (sp.?). Diversity is fine and acceptance of those who do speak incorrectly should be taught, but not necessarily modeled.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Baby Bear and Elmo becoming main characters is what turned me off to Sesame Street. I still tune in every now and then but when either one of those characters show up, I turn it off. I can't stand their use of improper English (which in no way is the same as a foreign accent) and I wish it would change. For some reason, though I've always noticed Cookie Monster's horrid manner of speech, it has never bothered me. Maybe I just find him more lovable than BB or Elmo and I am simply biased. If that's the case, shame on me for picking favorites. :wink:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
It wasn't ebonics, but Roosevelt Franklin disapeared because he was considered too stereotypical of African Americans, that seems almost racially immoral to do and keep Elmo and Baby Bear on. I might understand if SS was geared to toddlers, but it extends further then that, and until this forum, I really never thought of this sort of thing. Great observation HarveyK.

Uncle deadly

Reaction score
Its a kids show come on.
I mean look at the tellitubbies!!!

christyb

Reaction score
yeah but teletubbies is creepy. However, I really don't mind the Sesame bad grammar. I mean just look at my posts and you'd see why. (I'm terrible at it myself)