Favorite multi-part Muppet sketches?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Sometimes they'd do sketches that had more than one part (maybe 2 or 3, or more). My favorite would probably have to be:

-News Flash: Snowstorm
-2-headed monster tries on hats (hoping to get the ones that match the cardboard cutout of them)
-Grover's rowboat

And I hope to see these in English someday:

-Ernie's barber shop (I've only seen the first part)
-The Boy, the Girl and the Jellybeans
-The City Mouse and the Country Mouse (I've only seen the first part)
-Cookie Monster talks on Ernie's phone for a long time, then eats it

So which ones do you guys like?

SesameMike

Reaction score
Missing Rubber Ducky

There was this one skit which opens with Ernie rummaging through some stuff in his apartment (a genuine Frisbee is seen being tossed among them) when Oscar suddenly appears and asks what's going on. Ernie responds, sadly, that his rubber ducky is missing. Ernie is very upset to say the least, and in an unusual move of sympathy, Oscar offers to buy him a new one.

The second part of the skit had Oscar in Ernie's apartment with a brown paper bag (lunchbag sized). Oscar then pulls out the new "rubber ducky" he bought him. This particular model, though, stood upright, had a mean look on its face, and had an ugly (green?) Troll-like tuft of hair on its head. When squeezed, the duck made a nasty "aaaauuuugh" sound. Ernie was not pleased with Oscar's gift, and Oscar can't understand why he would turn down such an attractive toy. So Oscar decided to keep it for himself. Ernie then slouched down in despair, and heard a faint squeaking sound. Excited, he threw around some debris, and found he sat on his real rubber ducky. Oscar and Ernie then argued about who had the better toy. The sketch ended with each Muppet embracing their respective ducky.

Note that this was the only time I remember Oscar appearing in E+B's apartment. The other was when Ernie made that banana/gravy concoction, and Oscar showed up with ice cream cones.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Ernie's Barber Shop

Here's the "Ernie's Barber Shop" skit as best as I can remember.

Bert encounters Ernie inside a storefront locale, with a sign that said "Ernie's Barber Shop". Ernie is dressed in a traditional barber's white button-down shirt. After Bert's initial disbelief in Ernie's new occupation:

Ernie: I have a barber chair, I have a barber pole, so I am a barber!
(If only real life were that simple)
Bert: Yeah, but you haven't given anybody a haircut, even.
E: That's true, but I'm about to...
B: You mean you actually found somebody so dumb, that he will
actually let you cut his hair?
E: You bet, Bert.

Ernie somehow gets Bert to sit in a chair and be wrapped in an apron. Bert said stuff like:
"You don't do this every day."
"I like my hair long Ernie"

As the haircut nears an end, the camera does a close-up of Ernie saying "Just a little more. Clippity-clip clip clip, clippity clip clip." (A close-up was usually done when a stage hand neded to alter something; in this case, removing Bert's tuft, presumably.)

B: Well, how do I look?
E: You look, uh, you look with your eyes.
B: Oh, come on. Where's the mirror, Ernie?
E: Oh, you don't wanna look in the mirror, Bert.
B: Yes I do. Where's the mirror?

(Ernie hands Bert a hand mirror. His pointed head is all but depiliated.)

B: Well....I'm bald.
E: Oh, I wouldn't say that.
B: You wouldn't SAY that? BUT IT'S TRUE! You cut all my hair off. Oh, my hair... oh, my hair... (repeat and fade)
E: It'll grow back. It always does.

I think Ernie gave Bert a book at this point, the purpose of which was to give Bert something to do while his hair regrew.

The second part of the sketch:

E: You know, I feel kind of bad. I cut off all my buddy Bert's hair.

B: (approaching from off-camera with an oversized baseball cap over his head.) Ernie this will not work.
E: Why not, Bert?
B: I can't see where I'm going.

The next scenes show Ernie putting a huge wig, moustache, and beard over Bert's face. I think this was done so no one would recognize him while his hair grew back. While Bert was complaining about how ridiculous he looked, "My frends will laugh me off the street", a short, hairy monster came in. Looked a little like the Mahna-Mahna monster; I think he had a striped shirt. With a deep voice he said "Daddy! What are you doing here Daddy? I'll have to take you home with me." Bert had minor protests with "I'm not your daddy", but they were insufficent to keep from being dragged out by the creature.

The third part of the sketch.

E: Boy, it hasn't been a good day for old buddy Bert. (explains what
happened if you just joined us)

(Bert then walks in with a normal head of hair)

E: Why BERT, you're back!
B: (nods)
E: And your hair grew back!
E: (after asking some other leading questions with shakes and nods only as responses) I guess they sprayed some kind of "monster" stuff on your head.
E: But Bert, why are you so quiet? Don't you have anything to say?
B: (In a perfect Cookie Monster voice) COO-KIE!!

Ernie looks at us like, huh? Closing music plays.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
There was one with Ernie and Beautifal Day Monster

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned that the monster that appears in the sketch was the original green Grover.

fozziefan

Reaction score
Boober, how did the two part snowstorm newsflash go? I've heard about it but how did they divide it up? Did they "interrupt your regularly scheduled programming to bring you this sesame street news flash" twice? The only two part sketch I can remember is the one where the count sleeps over at bert and ernie's house.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
fozziefan said:
Boober, how did the two part snowstorm newsflash go? I've heard about it but how did they divide it up? Did they "interrupt your regularly scheduled programming to bring you this sesame street news flash" twice?
Only in the first part did they have the News Flash intro.

PART 1: It's a snowy day. Kermit tells us that he received a call about someone who's been standing in the snow for a long time. He asks everyone he sees if they are the person, but they're not. He tells us to stay tuned.
PART 2: Kermit, now getting rather cold, is still asking people if they've been standing out for a long time, with no luck.
PART 3: Kermit, now buried in the snow up to his neck, finally spots Harvey Kneeslapper walking by. Harvey reveals that he's the one who called Kermit, and that the person he told Kermit about, who's been standing in the snow for a long time, is ... well, you know the rest. :wink:

Klonoa

Reaction score
I remember the skit where the Count sleeps over at Ernie's. I kind of felt sorry for Ernie at the end, there.

I remember another multipart skit where Cookie spent the night at Ernie's and had nightmares about cookies. One of the cookies tormenting him was shaped like Pac-Man.

--Klonoa