The Muppets on SNL Dec. 18!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I haven't watched SNL in a good while because the show has been bad. But when the epsiode repeats, I'll watch it to see the Muppets on there.

I don't think the Muppets have appeard on SNL since the first year.

ryan

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
muppetsforever said:
umm..... just wondering here....... why was the thread i started on this moved? :confused:
There were multiple threads on the same subject so they were merged together to keep the SNL discussion in one place.

muppetsforever

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
There were multiple threads on the same subject so they were merged together to keep the SNL discussion in one place.
oh, well, i understand that part. that makes sence. but when i wrote this thread, it was the first one started.

ehh no biggy

I'm glad others were able to see the show :smile:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Zut! Or :cool: ! I missed it! We're on the road, and I didn't set Tivo to get it. Maybe it got it as a "suggestion" anyway. I can't believe the honest-to-goodness Kermit was on SNL. Yay! :smile:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I saw the episode last night and loved it. The Christmas Song with Horatio was great. I loved that skit every other time they did it, but with Chris, Tracy, and Jimmy gone from the cast I thought it wound not be this year (unless they all came back for cameos), but the Muppets doing it was awesome! I wish I had taped it. :cry: I'll just have to check the listings for the Robert DeNiro episode in the repeats (it should repeat sometime before the season ends). It was great, I'm glad to see the Muppets are really coming back in the spotlight. This was one of the best Muppet apperiances I've seen. If anyone has video or audio from the episode and could post downloads of the songs I would be eternially greatfull, if not I'll wait till the rerun.

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
I haven't watched SNL in a good while because the show has been bad. But when the epsiode repeats, I'll watch it to see the Muppets on there.

I don't think the Muppets have appeard on SNL since the first year.

ryan
I watch SNL almost every week. I'm still a big fan of it and think this current cast has a few big stars in the works. Unfortunately beyond the Muppet Stuff the show as a whole was pretty sub-par even Weekend Update boomed which hasn't happened that i can remember sense Tina Fey took over the desk. SNL to me will always be the Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Mike Myers erra, but these guys are trying.

One question i have is dose anyone know why the Muppets were on the show? I have thought over the past few years SNL has been pretty hard on the Muppets. Not just with that Sketch they had last year with Timberlake but most of the SNL writers also work on Conan. Conan show (Which i very much so like) has had a thing for making fun of the Muppets. With Barfing Kermit and that awful Faces of Death Muppets thing were they did some pretty disturbing things with Muppet Dolls its just strange.

Although i thought it was fun having the Muppets back on SNL. For some it must have been like the old days even though Jim, Frank nor any of the troop from those days was involved.

Overall i thought it was a good chance to see the Muppets in a very fun environment and also a treat for any of us who were at Muppet Fest 3 years ago this weekend. At the curtain call i was happy the Muppeters didn't hide, a nice unexpected Christmas treat.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Even the Muppeteers can laugh at themselves. Even though SNL has made fun of the Muppets (and Conan, which is also in the same building and many Conan folk have worked for SNL including Conana, and many SNL folk have worked for Conan) they still can take a joke, and know it is in good fun. In my opinion, none of the Muppet jokes made by SNL (or Conan) have been crule or disrespectful. Although irreverant and off-color; the jokes are all in fun and some would say it's an honor or tribute (like a roast). Even I have been known to make jokes about the Muppets and I don't hate them one bit. I think the Muppeteers understand it's a joke and would not hold it against them; plus who would pass up a chance to be on SNL?

Although none of the Muppeteers from last night were ever on the original SNL skits with Jim, and hardly any of the SNL staff from that era is still around (I think some of the producers are it); you can still feel the love the SNL'ers have for the Muppets. I hope the Muppets can return to SNL in the future, and maybe even one day host. I think that the SNL'ers really respect the Muppets, even if they do joke about them.

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
I agree. I think you could have a very fun episode of SNL were Kermit hosts. It would be a great way to give them exposure to an audience that already loves them. I honestly don't think that SNL or Conan have been disrespectful, I just think there some of the stranger stuff they have done. But i agree SNL is a great opportunity and a fun treat.

Xerus

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
I missed the appearance, but if anyone would be willing to send WAV or 320 kbps MP3's of the Muppet segments, I'd like to add them to Muppet Central Radio for our Christmas music rollout that begins tomorrow. Please send me an e-mail if you are able to help. I'm happy to help you in return with any Muppet music you are seeking. Just let me know what you need.
Luckily, I managed to tape that whole SNL show while I was asleep last night. And I got all 3 scenes with the Muppets in them. I'd be glad to mail you a copy of the tape. Just contact me at culpit70@yahoo.com

Also, I'll be happy to trade the SNL tape with anyone who has The Muppets on Good Morning America, Dec. 15, 2004 on tape.

beaker

Reaction score
AruggeRadio said:
Overall i thought it was a good chance to see the Muppets in a very fun environment and also a treat for any of us who were at Muppet Fest 3 years ago this weekend. At the curtain call i was happy the Muppeters didn't hide, a nice unexpected Christmas treat.
Heck yeah, I was there! Woot, 3 years ago 2 weeks ago for Muppetfest!
But this is a pretty big news even from my perspective...this shows Disney is willing to take a chance. I was worried that any and all hip or edgyness was to be zapped out of the Muppets...also this marks the first time in almost 30 years the Muppets have been on SNL. When my friend told me about this, at first I thought he meant fake parody versions.

Anyways, between this and the GMA thing, and of course Muppets xmas day broadcast its a good time.