Miss Piggy's Big Nose

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ok, you are right.

But, what I was refering too was the Mupept Show. Was not Piggy quite ugly at the begining? I think she looks very pretty now. THough I can't pitcure the hair look of which you speak. Muppet Caper?

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I agree completely that she wasn't as pretty in the very beginning. When Richard Hunt was performing her back in early '76, she had much smaller, almost sinister looking eyes. They improved upon her design by '77 and her appearance has stayed relatively the same until the last few years. I guess the best examples of Piggy in her prime would be found in The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper. Her face was well proportioned, and they really designed her eyes perfectly, as if they were made of glass or something. And her hair was long and curly at the ends. Definitely check out Caper for the best example. I also think Eric Jacobsen needs to try and find his own "Piggy" rather than attempting to imitate Frank. That will do a lot to make her a three-dimensional character again. It certainly worked for Steve Whitmire and Kermit. Now when I see him perform I no longer see a pupperteer who isn't Jim performing Kermit. I just see Kermit. That's the best example I can give you of a well-rounded character. I appreciate your interest in this subject, by the way, and thank you for discussing it with me. Where I'm from, a detailed discussion over Miss Piggy's appearance would leave most of my friends dumbfounded. Yay for Muppet fans who know their stuff!

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think we'll see great things, but not soon.

Miss Piggy as the Wicked witches will be a total stupidity, I thik.

Just four characters with Miss Piggy's worst faults...and perhaps on the screen at once...

Or it could be good, but I doubt it.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
beforemyway said:
doesn't her hair change with every epesode/movie/show?
Well, for the most part, no. If you look at Piggy's appearance for the full run of the Muppet Show ('76-'81), I think you'll see that her appearance has remained the same. Even in The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet caper her look was kept consistent with how she looked during the full run of The Muppet Show. It wasn't until 1984 when she adopted the Jennifer Beil look for Muppets Take Manhattan that we see her first major change in appearance. And it's gone steadily downhill ever since. And in reference to Beauregard's comments about her as the witch, I'm inclined to agree with you, since the four witch roles will probably not help her current two-dimensional, cliched personality. But to be fair, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the movie turns out.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yes, but it looks like a trainwrek waiting to happen in Piggy's case. Cheap laughs at her four characters...

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I know, I know. I posted waaaayyyy back about my fears of Muppet Wizard of Oz and the direction it was going, and most people shouted me down, saying that the Muppets deserve a chance to prove themselves. And they're right. So I'm going to watch the special with an open mind and in full support of our beloved Muppets. But it's pretty obvious from the previews that Piggy's going to be the same two dimensional caricature that she's been for the last few years, broken up into four characters. I'm just hoping the rest of the special makes up for it.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I didn't notice a change in her nose size, but I believe you, most here will call it natural Muppet evolution. examples of physical evolution that I've noticed include: Kermit lately seems to have a lot of extra skin, Piggy's hair (I agree) is horrific now, Gonzo seems taller (silly I know), Animal seems skinnier and younger (bags under his eyes seem smaller), and Statler and Waldorf dress like a models from the kids section of a JC Penney catalog circa 1994.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose it's inevitable that the Muppets will evolve. I just wish they could keep a grip on the key elements that make each Muppet unique and cool. And I know what you're saying about Gonzo. Lately I've felt like his nose has arched upward too much, obscuring his eyes a little. But man, you can't get a much more difficult character to design, so I'm willing to give the Muppet folks a break on that one.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Noooo! Have you seen those pictures from the trailer from MWoO? On Tough Pigs. Piggy is going to be rubish! So stupid! Cheap laughs. Nooooooo.