Favorite Christmas Traditions

beforemyway

Reaction score
What is your favorite Christmas tradition? :smile:

for me it was when I was little, getting up early in the morning to open stockings! My older sister was always trying to wake up first and open the stockings before everyone! so I tryed to be alert so she wouldn't get there before me :stick_out_tongue:

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Waking up extra early is the classic tradition. It was nothing for me and my younger sister and brother to be up and fully awake at 4:00 or 4:30 in the morning. Those were good times. Oh wait, what am I talking about? Here I am 24 years old and I still get that excited. Shoot, I woke up at 7:30 this morning completely on my own (completely unheard of on a day off) and it's only Christmas Eve Eve!!! Tomorrow morning it will be more like 6:30 and Christmas Morning I'll be up like a shot at 5:30! I am crazy!!!

yodaduff

Reaction score
On Christmas Eve my family gets together, eats lots of junk (called the "Buffet"), and my Dad reads the story of Jesus' birth. And then we open presents. That's the way it's always been for my family.

Last year was the first year I did something on Christmas. It was my first Christmas with my husband. Now, my husband and I enjoy the Christmas Eve thing with my brothers, sisters, and parents, and the Christmas thing with my new family.

(But I do love the junk food.) :excited:

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
In my family it's always been tradition to celebrate Christmas Eve with my mom's side of the family. Way back when I was really young the gathering would either be at our house, my grandparents' house or at my aunt and uncle's house depending on whose turn it was to host that year. Later on we narrowed it down to our house and my grandparents' house, and now we just have it at our house so that my grandparents don't have to worry about getting their house ready for an influx of people or driving half an hour to get to the party.

Christmas Day we spend with my dad's side of the family, which is a larger gathering because Dad has more siblings than Mom does. Since my dad's family was so big we drew names earlier in the month to figure out who was going to get a gift for whom. There were separate drawings for the kids and the adults. When my grandpa was alive, one of my aunts and her husband always got him a mechanized animal of some sort as a gift. One year it was a cow that would walk a few steps, then moo, and another year they got him a pig. That tradition stopped the year my grandpa died, although my parents did choose an interesting way to end it - they got Grandma a gorilla that sang "Macarena." As the grandkids have gotten older the gift exchange has been modified. Now the "unmarried" grandkids do the name drawing while the "married" adults do their grabbag/white elephant gift swap.

Another tradition that has become a favorite of mine is the opening of gifts on the 23rd of December. We started that tradition a couple years ago so that we wouldn't have to worry about opening presents from each other while trying to get the house ready for company at the same time. It's pretty much always the same: my family goes out for dinner somewhere (usually in town), then we drive around looking at Christmas lights before coming home and opening gifts.

-Kim

beaker

Reaction score
beforemyway said:
What is your favorite Christmas tradition? :smile:
Aw, that's easy! Watching Muppet vhs tape trades, specials and dvds all day with my mom and having a vegetarian meal:smile: that usually entailsMuppets Family Xmas, Muppets@WDW, as well as rare archival videos, and the newest Muppet footage. It's a time of the year where one can celebrate the rich and zany Muppet legacy while looking forward at what's to come.

and this year, besides buying presents for myself as I usually do, I actually got some presents(otherwise I dont really celebrate xmas)

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
My mom made a ornament that was supposed to be a reindeer, but my brothers said it looked like a dog, so my mom got mad and hid it. Then we found it and put it on the front of the tree. Now it is tradition to put the reindog at the front of the tree.

We have/had other traditions, but that one is my favourite.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
For the past 5 years or so,I've celebrated Xmas night with my best friend Sean and his family;a traditional Christmas dinner,listening to old records or watching videos. Growing up with Hannukah,I just remember lighting the menorah;that's about the size of it.