The Count

MJTaylor

Reaction score
You know something, I think The Count hepnotizes (sp?) people.
He seems to have put Grover under a spell in one early sketch set in Charlie's restruant. Instead of the Fat Blue Guy, we had The Count who kept asking Grover to get him a hot dog. After he has handed him three hot dogs, The Count tells Grover he wants not to eat them but to count them. When Grover tells The Count he won't get him anymore he looks Grover straight in the eye and says, "Go and get another hot dog." Which Grover does, after which they speed up the film.
More recently, The Count appeared with Cab Calloway who did a song about counting. At first Cab did the song by himself, then Count came and asked if he could join in. to which Cab said yes. Then the Count said, "And my friends can join us." He then looks at the camera and says, "You will count."
He also does this on "The Count Counts". Every now and then he keeps saying you will do this and that and the other.
What do you think?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
he did that a couple of times, including the Grover the waiter skit but not with Cab Calloway.

Soul H

Reaction score
I know for sure that he once whammied Bert so he could count the six blocks on Ernie's pyramid.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
MJTaylor said:
You know something, I think The Count hepnotizes (sp?) people.
He seems to have put Grover under a spell in one early sketch set in Charlie's restruant. Instead of the Fat Blue Guy, we had The Count who kept asking Grover to get him a hot dog. After he has handed him three hot dogs, The Count tells Grover he wants not to eat them but to count them. When Grover tells The Count he won't get him anymore he looks Grover straight in the eye and says, "Go and get another hot dog." Which Grover does, after which they speed up the film.
More recently, The Count appeared with Cab Calloway who did a song about counting. At first Cab did the song by himself, then Count came and asked if he could join in. to which Cab said yes. Then the Count said, "And my friends can join us." He then looks at the camera and says, "You will count."
He also does this on "The Count Counts". Every now and then he keeps saying you will do this and that and the other.
What do you think?
It's possible. It said in the Sesame Encyclopedia that he once hypnotized Bert and Ernie. Could somebody give me more detail on that sketch? I haven't seen it. I just read about it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well of course it's possible. Don't you know about the power of the evil eyes and vampiric hypnotism or mesmorism?
And now, you will count up to 20 with me.

Reaction score
At first, I was going to post an entire thread about this subject but have decided to bring it up here in something related.

Anyways, I'm interested to see just how many times we get to see him use his mesmerising abilities on other Muppet characters. So far only two sketches have been mentioned about The Count hypnotizing the other Muppets, which are "Bert & Ernie with the Blocks Pyramid" and "Waiter Grover and the Hotdogs" sketch. But I wonder just how many times has The Count actually use his ability to mesmerise others before it was decided to tone him down. I could only imagine there being several more episodes where he is likely to have conflict with various other Muppet characters in typical behind-a-brick-wall sketches before they decided to discontinue with the practice.

All I can say is, that a lot of early 1972 episodes of that Season don't exactly have all that much information so I may never know until the Workshop itself decides to reveal so. Which may probably be another 20 years of waiting. *sigh*

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
This thread just reminds me of how scared I was of the Count when I was little. *shudder*