Electric Mayhem Origins

Zoot The Saxman

Reaction score
Zoot.....

From what I have read and researched "Zoot's Name" was derived from the sax player ZOOT SIMS, BUT has the look after Chuck Mangione.... :cool:

muppetmonster

Reaction score
I have thought about this yesterday, but I was wondering that maybe Dr. Teeth probably came from Elton John, being a pianist and having similar clothes. If Dr. John is the same guy as Elton John, sorry. But, if not, then maybe Dr. Teeth derived from two guys.

And, maybe Lips dervied from the "Kiss" band. The reason I only think that is because people "kiss" with their "lips." But, maybe there is no influence.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
My knowledge is that Dr. Teeth was first named Dr. Eltonjohn Dontshoot (as in Elton John and "Don't shoot the piano player"). The blending of Dr. John the piano player with the scraggly voice and the beard, and the wild clothes of Elton John is the next connection there.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
muppetmonster said:
I have thought about this yesterday, but I was wondering that maybe Dr. Teeth probably came from Elton John, being a pianist and having similar clothes. If Dr. John is the same guy as Elton John, sorry. But, if not, then maybe Dr. Teeth derived from two guys.

And, maybe Lips dervied from the "Kiss" band. The reason I only think that is because people "kiss" with their "lips." But, maybe there is no influence.
Actually, Dr. John was a flamboyant piano player that Jim admired. To anyone not heavily knowledgable in southern R&B and blues (and I fall into that category) he may seem kind of obscure, so don't feel bad. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Elton John also played a part in inspiring the character. You bring up an interesting point about Lips. I have no clue about his inspiration, but I find it interesting that a character named lips has no lips to speak of. Heck, Janice should have been called Lips.

Gideon

Reaction score
dosen't floyd also play lefty in the original movie also animal is lefty i think cause in one picture the hi-hat is on the right for drummers like me most of us play cross armed and the hi-hats on the right for leftys

Beauregard

Reaction score
Janice. Like, wow, how could something so, like, beautifull and, wow, attractive have bin, like, a guy to begin wif? I mean, like, wow, like, helllo. We don't want to see, like, them take their clothes off and walk about the beach nekkid...do we? Fer sure?

But, seriously. I still find it hard to believe she was a guy. It's a bit like thinking of Fozzie as starting out life as a girl.

I don't think so.

Thank goodness she evolved into the sexy Janise gal she is today.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Beauregard my friend, the truth is out there. If you can find a copy of Christopher Finch's book "Of Muppets & Men" (long out of print but available in a surprising amount of libraries), On page 54 along the right margin there are original design sketches by Michael K. Frith of Dr. Teeth, Floyd and Janice. In what would become Janice's design, the yet unnamed character is obviously male, with the familiar big lips and a segmented BEARD (not too common a trait on most women). In Frith's written notes for the character the text reads: "Nearly white hair, two whisps of a beard....No eyes, overlarge mouth like M. (Mick) Jagger, animated Adam's apple, utterly emaciated...." The whisps of beard should be enough to prove the character's sexuality. But compunded with the fact that the character is based on Mick Jagger (a man), that the character has an Adam's apple (an exclusively male trait) and that it was specified that this character would evolve into Janice, then the facts are pretty overwhelming. If this isn't enough to convince you, then nothing will. But don't just assume somebody got their facts wrong because you didn't know any better.

Uncle deadly

Reaction score
Gideon said:
dosen't floyd also play lefty in the original movie also animal is lefty i think cause in one picture the hi-hat is on the right for drummers like me most of us play cross armed and the hi-hats on the right for leftys
yup, his kit is for a lefty.

Gideon

Reaction score
moon was righty just commenting also you're the drummer in your band right?