What will Disney do with Muppet Babies?

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
This Friday release is stupid i'd do it on sunday but that is Desprete housewives and grey's antomey but that would of been perfect for them i'll have to see what happens but i don't expect much of a rating win

SNLIM

Reaction score
i don't see disney doing anything with the muppet babies, however i don't think it would fair horribly under the right circumstances. i understand the concerns that it contributes to the demise and downplay of the classic muppets, but i'm not sure any muppet shows would fair well in today's primetime line-ups. unless the muppets were reworked in some fashion for today's audiences... i'm a huge fan of all original stuff but the original show just plain wouldn't fly on today's tv schedule. and please, let's stay away from cgi- even though i thought the yoda light-saber fight scene in episode II was cool, all i can think about is that yoda began a puppet and he should remain that way. it was a sad day.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
i hate to start a fight but i dissagrre ya really never can tell what they may or may not put out on DVD i mean some of the things they do put on DVD i am kind of suprised.

The argument of well they tryed with the toys in Target and what not. The only way i knew about this was from this site, and im sure im not the only one. I never saw any commercales or anything so really you cant really say that JHC was really pushing MB's becaues i just dont think they could. Also on another side note, I really dont see why Alot of Teens and people in there early 20's havent got into the MB stuff like with the Fragle and muppet stuff at "Hot Topic" stores. They seem like the best clut classic 1980's Tv show for young people. I mean i could just see some girls te- shirt with baby piggy saying somthing like im a prinncess or scooter and sceeter te- shirt saying "look Twins". I know some of you will get that joke but some it will be over your heads. Im telling ya there would be a market for this stuff but i really dont think Disney would go for it, but i could be wrong i mean look at Nightmare before Christmass. :zany:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well... I definately do not blaime MB for the classic Muppets slipping... just how Brian Henson treated the property after his father's death... but I won't go into that.

I could see some sporatic DVD releases... maybe, just maybe... but Considering how they tried to bring them back last year with no success....

>>Henson were developing a new CGI "Muppet Babies" style show. That's not to say it will happen under Disney, but there have been tests for it. The promotional push for Muppet Babies merchandise based on the old cartoon didn't go down all that well last year, the retro market was very crowded already with more popular properties although it may have lost a lot of momentum what with all the Disney sale business going down. <<

I will have to agree with you. A lot of retro things either stuck (like Ninja Turtles) or fell like rocks (like M.U.S.C.L.E.... still really ticked off at that. I'dv'e loved for it to become so popular we saw the 80's Japanese series the toy line was based off released in the US). Sadly, a lot of the ones that stuck were "those (crappy) Characters from Cleveland" properties. I mean, Care bears and Strawberry shortcake, and other cartoons based on greeting card lines were an embarassment to animation. And I can say that, as an animator.

I'd say it's a wait and see type deal. But hey, we weren't even expecting Fraggle Rock on DVD last year let alone box sets.

Skeeter Cool

Reaction score
I will certainly be flamed for this but I only care about Muppet Babies plush merchandise. Whoever owns the rights to manufacture please reissue them (primarily in the US).

As far as the original Muppet canon goes “The Great Muppet Caper” was the only thing I found great.

I am an 80s kid (b.1982 November 12) and the animated series “Muppet Babies” is certainly a childhood highlight: entertainment wise when I am reminiscing about Saturday morning programs.

I like Fraggle Rock as well. I even own a "HASBRO" Red Fraggle plush!

unclematt

Reaction score
Walgreens was selling a plush line of the Muppet Babies about a year ago. I do no know who produced them though.

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
The death of the muppets was not Muppet Babies....I can't stand those comments.

MB was an innovative show that represents some of the finest childrens programming ever made. The impact the show had on children's tv is still being felt.

The death of the muppets came from within. No one did anything with the franchise. Let's be honest MTM was released in 1984 and the Muppets essentially did nothing for 8 years in the movies. That was the first miscalculation.

The second event was Jim's death. Unfortunatly there wasn't a single person involved with the muppets who was on that super creative level Jim was. With all do respect to the muppet performers, they very much dropped the ball after Jim's death.

The problem wasn't kids exposure to the muppet babies it was that it never segwayed into anything when they outgrew it (The nick jr. generation that is). The generation from the 80's had no problems with it. But if you were a child in the early to mid 90's, where exactly did you go after the muppet babies? That's where that problem came from.

The muppets are in the same post-leader phase that Disney was after the passing of Walt. They aren't dead, it isn't time to retire, it's time to rebuild them. Just like the 70's were for Disney, the 90's were for the Muppets. The key to their revival will be creating some magic. That's what's been missing. It's not promotion or anything else, it's making a product that stands the test of time. THAT is completely up to the muppet people and their fans willingness to be less cynical and more supportive. The muppet community as a whole is probably one of the most hit or miss that i've seen, they are either in love with the product or they come off as borderline hating it.

McFraggle

Reaction score
MustangRockstar said:
The problem wasn't kids exposure to the muppet babies it was that it never segwayed into anything when they outgrew it (The nick jr. generation that is). The generation from the 80's had no problems with it. But if you were a child in the early to mid 90's, where exactly did you go after the muppet babies? That's where that problem came from.

The muppets are in the same post-leader phase that Disney was after the passing of Walt. They aren't dead, it isn't time to retire, it's time to rebuild them. Just like the 70's were for Disney, the 90's were for the Muppets. The key to their revival will be creating some magic. That's what's been missing. It's not promotion or anything else, it's making a product that stands the test of time. THAT is completely up to the muppet people and their fans willingness to be less cynical and more supportive. The muppet community as a whole is probably one of the most hit or miss that i've seen, they are either in love with the product or they come off as borderline hating it.
I agree. :big_grin: