Grover and the 39 steps

Mario

Reaction score
We have these two tapes with episodes of Sesame Street on them. And, I watch them and they still crack me up. :big_grin: I had my friend over, and he was like, "What the heck is so funny?" So, my favorite one is where Grover has to walk up the steps. I think that there are 39. So, he keeps climbing and counting and saying that there better be something good. And, he finally gets to the top and there is just a brick wall!!! :big_grin: So, he jumps on the banister and yells, "Cowabunga!" and theres a huge crash and the camera shakes. But, its just great! I think it was a part of Monster-piece Theatre with cookie monster.

HarveyK

Reaction score
Grover

That skit scares the pants off my two year old. We're not ever allowed to say "Are you out of your mind", or "Geronimo" without her covering her face and crying to be picked up.

Mario

Reaction score
HarveyK said:
That skit scares the pants off my two year old. We're not ever allowed to say "Are you out of your mind", or "Geronimo" without her covering her face and crying to be picked up.
No way, lol. Why is she so afraid of it? :smile:

ceecee

Reaction score
I believe the Monsterpiece Theater segment was called "The 39 Stairs," which is a spoof of the Hitchcock classic "The 39 Steps."

It used to freak me out too. I just got the creeps thinking how Grover had struggled up all those stairs only to find a brick wall. Like he was entombed or something (shudder). I kinda forgot how it ended til now.

ssetta

Reaction score
Mario said:
We have these two tapes with episodes of Sesame Street on them. And, I watch them and they still crack me up. :big_grin: I had my friend over, and he was like, "What the heck is so funny?" So, my favorite one is where Grover has to walk up the steps. I think that there are 39. So, he keeps climbing and counting and saying that there better be something good. And, he finally gets to the top and there is just a brick wall!!! :big_grin: So, he jumps on the banister and yells, "Cowabunga!" and theres a huge crash and the camera shakes. But, its just great! I think it was a part of Monster-piece Theatre with cookie monster.
Which episodes?

SesameMike

Reaction score
That sketch sounds similar to different one where Grover climbs a seemingly endless flight of stairs. He climbs the stairs, which literally pass through the clouds, on Kermit's request. When he finally reaches the top, Kermit is casually sitting there, crosslegged.

GROVER: (puff, puff) I finally reached the top. FROGGY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?
KERMIT: Oh I took the elevator.
G: You took... you took... ahhhhhhh (Grover falls backward in his usual end-of-skit fainting routine, not realizing one pesky little detail.)
<Insert sound of looping snare-drum solo>
K: Grover is now demonstrating an incorrect method of going down the stairs
G: (Who has stopped falling down the stairs midstream, possibly snagged by the handrail) Down is easier than up (puff, puff) but it is not as fun.

Although they didn't actually show Grover tumbling down the stairs, I can see why they'd be afraid to air this one today. Incidentally, I was sure I had heard that drum solo elsewhere on the show. During David's "Throw it on me" routine, perhaps?

Mario

Reaction score
ceecee said:
I believe the Monsterpiece Theater segment was called "The 39 Stairs," which is a spoof of the Hitchcock classic "The 39 Steps."

It used to freak me out too. I just got the creeps thinking how Grover had struggled up all those stairs only to find a brick wall. Like he was entombed or something (shudder). I kinda forgot how it ended til now.
Yeah, it was Monsterpiece Theater. :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
That sketch sounds similar to different one where Grover climbs a seemingly endless flight of stairs. He climbs the stairs, which literally pass through the clouds, on Kermit's request. When he finally reaches the top, Kermit is casually sitting there, crosslegged.

GROVER: (puff, puff) I finally reached the top. FROGGY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?
KERMIT: Oh I took the elevator.
G: You took... you took... ahhhhhhh (Grover falls backward in his usual end-of-skit fainting routine, not realizing one pesky little detail.)
<Insert sound of looping snare-drum solo>
K: Grover is now demonstrating an incorrect method of going down the stairs
G: (Who has stopped falling down the stairs midstream, possibly snagged by the handrail) Down is easier than up (puff, puff) but it is not as fun.

Although they didn't actually show Grover tumbling down the stairs, I can see why they'd be afraid to air this one today. Incidentally, I was sure I had heard that drum solo elsewhere on the show. During David's "Throw it on me" routine, perhaps?
I liked how when Grover was climbing up the stairs while Kermit tells him to keep going, Grover found himself surrounded by clouds. Those must've been really high steps.

Also that drum solo happened in a skit with Grover, Herry, and a small pink monster. They kept counting, 3 monsters and then mixing themselves up in different patterns while those drums played.