Maria *inside* Oscar's trash can?

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember one time, Oscar invited David's Grandma to come into his can, while David pleaded her not to go in. Soon all you can hear was a bunch of splashing mud, things breaking and tumbling down, and Grandma shouting, "OSCAR, WHERE ARE YOU?!!" over and over again. David was totally freaked imagining the mess his poor Grandma would be when she comes out. But to his surprise, Grandma came out of the can all clean and unharmed while Oscar came out all muddy and beat up, while Grandma smiled proudly.

Zelda Rose

Reaction score
:embarrassed: Ok, I know I've neglected everyone here for a while, and I appologize from the bottom of my heart.

Having said my peace, let me respond to Motown Mike's original post. I too, remember someone going inside Oscar's trash can.....but I swear I remember actually being able to see the inside of Oscar's "home"! Yes, I know I'm old and senile....but it's a memory that seems so real....... :confused:
My brother (who is much younger than I) remembers EVERYTHING (rolls eyes) so I'll have to ask him. I'll get back to everyone ASAP when I get an answer.

Erine81981

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
All this talk about Oscar's humble abode got me thinking: do you even see galvanized metal trash cans anymore?

Think about it. Most individual trash cans used by private residences these days are made of plastic or rubber and have tight-fitting lids. Most are round, but some have a rounded-square shape. Commercial buildings use dumpsters. And more and more communities use those "wheelie" bins, with a separate rectangular container for recyclables.

Somehow, Oscar popping out of a Rubbermaid trash can would not have the same effect.
I see them all the time where I live. I had a thread about people if when they do see trash cans if they think a grouch is going to pop out and get mad at them. I think that every time I see them. We even have a store that sell those type but seeiing that there new I know that Oscar wouldnt come out expect for Felix the Grouch (who loves clean ones). I love Oscar so much I would make little boxes that I could get in and rig them to have a open and close lid I could operate w/ sting. It was cool!

Dantecat

Reaction score
Xerus,What year was that episode of David's grandmother went in oscar's trash can and how did david feel when his grandmother just came out of the trash can? Huh :confused:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You remember right

SesameMike said:
I remember the episode in which Maria went into Oscar's can. This is not exact, and I'm not completely sure which was for sugar and which for flour.

Maria went up to Oscar's can and asked to borrow a cup of sugar. Oscar replied that if she wanted it she'd have to come in and get it herself. So she did, and that's where we saw the eyes against the darkness stuff. At one point, Maria fell into Oscar's pool (which Oscar had told us about a few times before. I think he said "Wanna see my swimming pool?" to a visiting grouch that was parked in an adjacent trash can.)

<SPLASH!>
OSCAR: "That's my swimming pool!"
MARIA: "It's sooo COLD!!!"
OSCAR: "Yeah, I keep ice cubes in there..."

Finally they reached the kitchen, where Oscar instructed Maria where to find the sugar.

As the dirty and messy Maria was about to exit the can Luis walked by, apparently reading a Hispanic recipe.

LUIS: "(something in Spanish, then) One cup of flour. Hey Oscar, you wouldn't mind lending me a cup of flour, would ya?"
MARIA: (still shoulder-high in the can) "Don't do it, Luis."
OSCAR: "What do you mean? I can get you that right now." (Disappears into can, and quicly emerges with a cup of flour for Luis)

Needless to say, Maria was a tad P.O.'d at Oscar that she had to delve into the mucky can while Luis got his in a snap.

Maria's entry into the can is corroborated by Wikipedia. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_the_Grouch

I also saw the sketch where Bob went into Oscar's can. My memory of is is a little fainter, since it was about a season earlier then Maria's foray (and I only saw it once). Basically, Bob was walking by the can whistling happily, and Oscar angrily emerged from his can to chew him out for making such a racket. When Bob calmly rebuked Oscar for getting all bent out of shape for mere whistling, Oscar responded with something like "you should see what I have to live with before you pass judgment..." (sounds remarkably similar to the excuse often given for listening to music with violent lyrics and other lifestyle choices) Bob decided to play along and visit the interior of the trash can.

There was another sketch I saw where there wasn't an adult inside the can, but they clearly illustrated the immense interior therein. One day, Oscar announced that he was going to move, and called upon the adults to assist him. We then saw 3 or 4 adults struggling to pull a full-sized hat rack out of the can (Did we see this in Mary Poppins?). The show then broke for a film or two. When they returned to the street scene, the sidewalk was suddenly littered with several pieces of dusty, dingy furniture, all full-size, that were taken out of Oscar's can. At that point, Oscar confesses that he fooled them; he wasn't really moving, he just wanted to re-arrange the furniture in his can. Not taking kindly to being lied to, the adults all promptly dispersed. Oscar said to Slimey "We're going to have a hard time putting all this furniture back.

I too remember Bob getting into Oscar's can, and knowing Bob was in for the worst! He's climbing into the can, and Oscar warns him to be careful of his fire-breathing dragon. "Oscar, there's no such thing as a..." Then smoke comes streaming out of the can, and Bob acts as if his rump is on fire. Things go downhill from there. At the end of the show, Bob emerges from the can with his clothes on tatters, smoke streaming out his ears, and covered in slop from head to toe. He marches past everyone on the street, everyone looking startled at his unkempt appearance. He makes it to his apartment door, goes inside, gives us at home a look of absolute disgust, and SLAMS the door behind him. Then we cue the closing music, and "Sesame Street was brought to you today by..." whatever the sponsoring letters and numbers were.

Anytime a human ventures into Oscar's world, it's bound to be bad news!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yet, they all went in in Elmo in Grouchland, and they were all clean.

Xerus

Reaction score
Dantecat said:
Xerus,What year was that episode of David's grandmother went in oscar's trash can and how did david feel when his grandmother just came out of the trash can? Huh :confused:
Sorry, I don't remember the year. But I think it happened somewhere around the late 70s or early 80s.

And I believe David was surprised and relieved seeing his dear Grandma unharmed.

David's Grandma is quite an amazing woman. :smile:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Dantecat said:
Fuzzygobo,What year was that sketch :confused:
Not exactly sure, but sometime in the late 70's. Bob's groovy polyester leisure suit gave it away. :big_grin: