Looking for puppeteers in the NYC/Long Island area

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Hello all.

Okay, here's the deal....

I do not have any solid dates as of yet, but it is better to start early than late, I always say.

I am producing a new children's television show that is puppet based. It is a pilot, and is being funded by me personally. I will be upfront and say that there probably will be no pay for this production, unless, of course, the show gets picked up. That's a different story, however.

This is an opportunity for all wannabe puppeteers to show your stuff, and possibly get a foot in the door...... while I put my foot in other doors... get it?

This is a serious production, and in learning of the plot and style of the show, you will WANT to be involved, trust me.

I am now accepting demo reels for both puppeteering and voice characterization (sp?) anyway, voiceovers, you get the idea.... Contact me here, or at britt4@optonline.net with questions and/or comments.

Looking forward to everyone's skills.

-Jim

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Have you spoken with any of the esthablished people in New York to seek their input and advice?

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Actually, Yes, I have had meetings with Christopher Cerf (Sirius Thinking) who created "Between The Lyons", and other pertinent people, including the people who are currently making my puppets (one of them is a popular person here, Terry Angus)... and have tentative meetings with Rick Lyon (of Avenue Q, and other puppet productions) and a few other nameless individuals..... all who will more than likely be busy, or out of my current budget range (as I mentioned, the puppeteers involved in this pilot will more than likely go unpaid)... but that is fine, because I had always intended this production to utilize NEW talent.... as I am new talent myself. There is no reason why, especially with puppeteering, that just because a person hasn't established themselves in the field doesn't mean they don't deserve a chance. Besides.... they'll work for free. It's a win-win situation for all involved.

To tell you the truth, even if the person has history, doesn't necessarily mean they would be able to operate my puppets right off the bat. My puppets, two in particular, are of a completely new design because of there character definition, and are not traditional hand/rod controlled (although based similarly). So, any puppeteer would need to spend a decent amount of rehearsal time to learn the characters potential, therefore, ANYONE can apply.

Okay. Long winded enough. BUCK BEAVER, thanks for your question. I look forward to picking your brain in the near future.

-Jim

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
hey Jim ,
i sent you an email, i would love to hear some more about i, look forward to your respnse. :smile:

JW

Handy Andy

Reaction score
James:

Yes, I did see your email, and have plans on responding in full on Monday... this weekend is difficult to sit down and concentrate, as I have a house full of family and a huge blizzard barrelling down on us. If I survive the weekend (not the snow, but the kids) it will be a miracle........ However, you should know, I was more than pleased to discover your interest in my project and your past experience. We will definitely be working together in one capacity or another, as I do need an experienced person on my side.

By the way, do you know someone named Mark Rusciano? he worked on "Bear in the Blue" and is a friend of a friend who I was introduced to and had expressed interest in working with me.

Keep an eye out for my email on Monday........ Okay?

-Jim

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I would be interested to know more about the business/financing end of this. It sounds like you're talking to all the right people down there, but my experience with these sorts of endeavours is that there's no shortage of energy/creativity/enthiasm but where they fall apart is on the business and financial side.

It will be interesting to hear more.

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Well....

Truth be told, I worked for several years as a DJ/Wedding Videographer and all the while had this idea stashed in the back of my head... for about ten years. In actuality, about ten years ago, I had pusued leads for backing and had a few of the pupets built already.... but alas, the backing never came, time passed, and the puppets slowly were dismantled or lost.

Meanwhile, I counted my pennies, made some connections, and now have saved up a decent amount of revenue to at least get me started. I am currently seeking additional backers, and have leads on a few definite investors. I have set up a production company (J-Squared Productions, Inc.) and have been going ahead with the project without concern for loss of money. If I have to, I'll start using my credit cards..... hey, it worked for Spielberg, Spike, Smith and Jackson. But I do have some very interested parties,m so Id o not think that will be the case.... besides, I am also pursuing grants, but I would rather have some examples on video first... so that's my focus for now. Evebn if I don't have the talent, once the puppets are complete, I can run some tests for posterity and exhibition.

Really, what has been key to me, is the connections I've made. I have very close friends working on the puppets for me, and am becoming friends with the ones I've met..... getting great start up rates. Also, the computer animators, who, I must say, have been the greatest performers so far, are doing everything dirt cheap, and I've just forged a bond with the owner of a local studio, so... things are going well.

I need writers, too, because I feel I reached a limit as to my own writing ability, and would like to have a second, third and maybe even fourth pair of creative eyes give their input. Ahhhhhh, my left arm for a writing pool.

-Jim

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
YEah this blizzard is a mess, it just started out side and already , im have cabin fever, ill be looking for your emial onmonday, good luck with the kids, lol

As to your friend, not sure i know him, was he on the series or the live show tour?

any how, good luck this weekend:smile:

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Mark worked on the series for a short time......

Makes no matter.... was just curious.

Look, even though I respond here today, I'm just kinda kicking around.... I work very differently during the week, so that's why I said Monday. Truth is, I was very excited to read your email.... I will admit that I need someone of your calibre.

-James

Matt Furtado

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

I dropped you an email too. Very interested in learning more about your project. Hope to hear from you this week as well. Thanks!

-Matt