Wanting to follow my dream

Frogster

Reaction score
Dear forum members,
My name is Luke, and I've been a member here since, I think, August. I've been such a huge fan of just about anything involving Jim Henson and his workshop. I've watched loads and loads of Muppety things since I can possibly remember. Maybe that's why I'm able to get so many voices down, from Sesame Street, to The Muppet Show, to Fraggle Rock. :frown: :smile: :smirk:
I'm 20 years old, and I go to school in a small college in Kansas. I'm a theatre major, but they have nothing to offer in puppetry. I really want to learn and master the art of puppetry, plus, I think I'm a good writer, and I'd like to find a place somewhere where I can express my artistic ability. My family doesn't understand why I love the Muppets so much; moreover, they are incredibly surprised that I can change my voice drastically, from doing someone like Dr. Teeth to Gobo Fraggle. I'm writing all this because I'm wanting to know if any of you know any possible way I could actually get ahold of a group of puppeteers? I know what I'd like to do with the rest of my life, and I'm hoping you guys could maybe help me get started. Thanks so much for your time.
~LE~

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
PofA is the best place to start, there's a puppetry group somewhere in your region, though possibly not in your town.

You'll hear this a lot, but if you're really serious about pursuing puppetry don't imitate the Muppets, develop your own voices/characters/puppets. Even the Muppets don't hire people because they can do Muppets.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Frogster -

I too studied theater in college. Opportunities should abound to practice the grand old art of puppetry. You may need to ferret them out -

For example, I was assigned the post of "prop designer" for a children's play my university produced. During a design meeting, I pointed out that to really create a "fantasy" type environment, we should have all sorts of incidental creatures on stage at different times. I also pointed out that since the costume designer had her hands full (huge cast, a couple of wardrobe changes) I would be happy to take on the task. I wound up designing, building and supervising the construction of 15 puppets, from handpuppets to rod puppets, and even a simple bunraku-style puppet. It was sort of an insane mish-mash, but tons of fun.

I also saved my grade in German both semesters by putting on puppet plays as a "final project" with a fellow theater major and German student. I can't speak a word of intelligable German, but I know my right arm rod from my left.

Find your opportunities, and DO. If you can't readily find opportunities, make them. A brilliant philosopher once said "Dones come from effective doingnesses." Ain't that the truth!

Good luck to you!

- Scraps "Forget tomorrow, the sun will come out TODAY" Flippy.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I too want to follow this dream but sadly I don't think theres anywhere to learn puppetry here in Australia or atleast in the sydney area. Does anyone know what I should do?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Try contacting UNIMA Australia, their website appears to be offline but they keep a blog at http://unimaaustralia.typepad.com so you can keep on top of puppetry developments downunder. You should be able to find contact info via the blog.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Downunder -

1. Get a puppet
2. Jiggle it around until it looks like it's alive

By a "show of hands" how many people reading this are puppeteers with NO formal training?

(Scrapsflippy raises his hand)

-- Scraps "DIY" Flippy

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
C'mon, it's a lot more complicated than that Scraps. :stick_out_tongue:

It is a good place to start though.

muppetmayhem

Reaction score
that is a very interesting post frogster. I too hope to become a puppeteer :smile: