Seeking Job as a Muppet Voice Artist

ArtVandelay

Reaction score
Hello,

First off, if this is not the right forum for this question, please move it.

I am by no means a puppeteer, but I can do impersonations. I have dreamed of doing accurate voices for the muppets while someone else does the actual puppetry. This of course is a pipe dream because only extrememly talented people get to work with the Muppets. But I would like to be officially told by Disney, or whoever handles these matters, that I should give up.

Does anyone know who might I contact? Or if you know for sure, tell me that it's hopeless.

The reason I would like to do this is because many characters have been left in the dark because no one has been able to do a passable voice. I think a solution for the time being would to have two people do the character. One for the voice, one for the movement.

Thanks in advance

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
well my firts thought is

learn how to puppeteer, yes its hard work yes it takes time, but if your voice work is that good, why wouldnt you want to expand your ability to include manipulation of a puppet?

second , nothing is out of question, but generally the muppets are perfromed by the puppeteer who does the character, (except in difficult situations, or when two puppets with the same performer are in the same scene)

i strongly suggest you start working on your puppetry , if you need a puppet several people here build and design, my self included, and im sure you could hire one of us to build something, just a thought,

(sorry thier are a number of puppet builders who are here i appologize for not listing, im just terrible at remebering al the names, private me and ill add you on to this posting, or just send a private message to ARTVANDELAY)

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
I just wanted to say.....

I LOVE SEINFELD!

Oh, and I'm a builder too. lol :wink:

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Hey.....

Actually, my upcoming production is recorded audio first, with lip-sunced puppets, so, it's not entirely necessary to learn how to puppeteer.

There is no pay for the pilot, let that be known. But, if you want, you may send me a demo tape of your talent, and we can take it from there.

Where are you located?

I am in New York.

Contact me at britt4@optonline.net, okay?

-James

robinthecrow

Reaction score
I too will be induring a production that requires everything to be done audio-wise first then will be dramatised by puppets afterwards. Considering I am in lacking in available actors requires me to adopt people from the internet to do voices for me (something I am quite use too being listed in the Voice Over Artist forums located about the net - i work in a form of internet radio so people from different countries and talent allows variant in my final product rather than me adopting silly voices!!!)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Visit this forum, which is basically the same topic, and read that information there. Some of it is ON TOPIC and gives you insight you need, some of it is banter--but that happens here sometimes, don't it? :smile:

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=16449

Write Disney and JHC both the same letter, and send the same tape, and one of the two will get it and, I'm sure, respond.

ArtVandelay

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight Fozzie Bear. I read through the other thread and found out where I could send a tape to the Henson Corporation. But does anyone know an address for Disney. Thanks in advance! :big_grin:

MuppetDude

Reaction score
The Muppets did quite a bit of dubbing in the 1970s; both "The Frog Prince" and "The Muppet Musicians of Bremen" used dubbed voices. ("Bremen" had more voice actors than puppeteers for the voices of the characters).

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
On the subject of lip-sync vs. live audio, live audio is definately the way to go. In some situations in puppet theatre it's necessary to lip sync to voice tracks, but you loose a lot of sponteniaty.

For film or video I would definately not pre-record voices. It's a very bad idea. If you don't want to use the puppeteer's actual voices then record live audio and loop (dub) the audio when you are editing. Otherwise you are locked in to the audio on tape while you are shooting and that can cause a lot of problems.