How to start making puppets?

Patience

Reaction score
Kuriboh Man

Anything I can help you with, just ask! I am new to this, (haven't quite finished my first puppet yet) but I'll try to help in any way I can.

I spent a lot of sleepless nights lurking the web to find info. Interesting what you can find, especially when you're not looking for something in particular. I was watching YouTube Christian Music videos (actually I was listening more than anything). One night I came across a group called "Portable Puppets". I couldn't take my eyes off the thing. Now I can no longer count how many times I've watched that video, I figured "why not! I could do that too! So here I am! Glad to help!

If you are interested, here is the link (it doesn't end well):
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=47UxItwKEKI

Patience

Greedo

Reaction score
I've been having a bit of a problem with the facial construction of a puppet. It's rather complex, and the skull itself is a wireframe covered with air-drying clay. I want to keep most of the features that Ive formed with the clay, but if I sew my light fleece onto it, the features will be lost. The clay is cracked in places, so sewing seems like the only answer. But I need a second opinion: how can I keep the face hairy without hiding the features?

Patience

Reaction score
problem

Greedo,

I'm no expert, but IMHO you need to make the features on your "skeleton" exaggerated otherwise they will get lost. So adding to your skeleton features may help them show up better, then try the fleece again.

Doesn't clay make the whole thing really heavy?

Patience

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Greedo, are you using model magic? (if not, try it, its lovely)

is there a way you can patch the clay & then paint it instead?

CBPuppets

Reaction score
If clay doesn't work out for you how about paper Mach'e?

Greedo

Reaction score
Greedo,

I'm no expert, but IMHO you need to make the features on your "skeleton" exaggerated otherwise they will get lost. So adding to your skeleton features may help them show up better, then try the fleece again.

Doesn't clay make the whole thing really heavy?

Patience
Actually, I use the Crayola "Model Magic" brand. It's my substitute for reticulated foam rubber.

Greedo, are you using model magic? (if not, try it, its lovely)

is there a way you can patch the clay & then paint it instead?
Painting is a good idea, I could reduce the chance of it cracking more.
Hmm, I did get some spray glue that I could put to use, be it fabric or loose fuzz I decide to use. I am not too hot on the idea for gluing loose puppet fuzz onto the face, it would shed horribly.

If clay doesn't work out for you how about paper Mach'e?
Papier mach'e may do the trick, I'll try that for my next puppets. That is, if I can't get my mits on some foam rubber.:coy:

Thanks to everyone for their great suggestions! I will take all to heart!