How to start making puppets?

feltling

Reaction score
i am new here and i was just reading through the posts n had to giggle at that one...cause since i been making puppets and felting...i have had numerous friends rock up with alsorts...<old lounge cusions, mattresses n such> most i tell them to get rid of their own hard rubbish...lol
:eek:no thx unless its clean or almost new

Patience, I get my foam at an upholstry shop...

Funny story about carpet foam...

So one day my friend shows up at my apartment with a huge roll of multi-colored, speckled foam.
"umm what's that?"
"It's carpet padding! I thought we could use it to make puppets!"
"It looks ratty & smells bad! Where did you get it?"
"It was on the side of the freeway! Isn't it great? It must have fallen out of a carpet-guy's truck! But don't worry, I don't think he'll bother to go back to find it."

It smelled like pee & I made him throw it away.

THE END.

drmolarmagic

Reaction score
Painting yellowing foam white...

Hi this is my 1st post....
I use what is called "junk foam" (I think that's what its called) currently I am making a new puppet...its a tooth (a front tooth specifically) and the issue I'm having is coloring it. White spray paint just won't cover it well. If I use felt, I think I'll loose the features I've carved....any ideas about getting a white coating on the foam?

any idea would be great....

By the way I have used model magic for puppet faces and it is great...easily sculpted and light as a feather.
Thanks

feltling

Reaction score
white paint

Hi this is my 1st post....
I use what is called "junk foam" (I think that's what its called) currently I am making a new puppet...its a tooth (a front tooth specifically) and the issue I'm having is coloring it. White spray paint just won't cover it well. If I use felt, I think I'll loose the features I've carved....any ideas about getting a white coating on the foam?

any idea would be great....

By the way I have used model magic for puppet faces and it is great...easily sculpted and light as a feather.
Thanks
I have not really any good ideas as i am new to foam BUT...i would probably go for fabric paint if left to my own devices...well, i use that on stretch fabric for costumes...maybe,maybe not...Otherwise i would go with the felt.Or spray an adhesive or some kind of sealant on first prior to paiting...But these guys in here are chocka block FULL of ideas n suggestions.Its wonderfull.
Also...what base is model magic.?
Haha i feel like such a puppet newb..:smirk:

SesameKermie

Reaction score
For the white coating on the foam look for a product called "Sculpt-or-Coat." I think there is information about it on the threads here. From what I understand, it makes a nice hard looking coating that is still light and otherwise usable for puppetry.

drmolarmagic

Reaction score
white coating

Thanks....I picked up a product called "modge-podge". its basically a thick waterbased glue coating or glaze. I was going to try to coat the foam and then see if white spray would stick to it.
If it doesn't work, I can always coat him in felt....
I will look for the product you mentioned and scan the other threads for it...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You can also use brush-on latex (apply several thin layers), which is available at almost any art store. I think Sculpt-or-Coat will give better results though.

drmolarmagic

Reaction score
white coating on foam

I went with the felt....the other products didn't give me the texture I wanted....(but what texture looks good for a tooth?)
I just finished cutting the hands from foam and those look good spray painted. The foam arms will have felt covering to match the rest of his body....thanks for all the input....:big_grin:

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I think putting white Felt is a good Idea or maybe you can try hardened clay then paint the tooth afterwards. Super Glue or a Hot Glue Gun will be Required.

darkkira

Reaction score
hi im new to puppet building and i was wondering if i could have some help making a female puppet.i have stuff drawn but i do not konw how to make the body. thanks for listening:excited:

muppetcrazy36

Reaction score
I just started getting intrested in puppeteering, and never knew u could make ur own! well now i do, and im anxious to try it. just one problem, i dont know where to start. i just learned how to sew to, and i have both a hot glew gun and a sewing machian, if that helps at all. please help!