Statler & Waldorf on movies.com

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
MWoO said:
While I do agree that some of the characters like Statler and Waldorf need to be re-assigned, why get a bunch of new guys? Because they will be cheaper than the real muppetters.
Well, I think these new guys won't really be cheaper,
because they have to be members of the acting union.
As a matter of fact half of these guys have already
performed with the Muppets in the past and work only union,
just like Steve, Bill and Dave.

MWoO

Reaction score
But why replace Etric then? I think he does a great job. He's had the character for awhile now along with their Sesame counter parts, except Cookie monster. Why replace him?

I do agree that Dave needs a back up. I mean he is getting up there in age. He seem really active and all, but it wouldn't hurt to have an under study. My fear is that it leaves Dave with no bargaining power. If he wants more money for a gig, Disney can always say they will just get someone else to play Gonzo. It's just a slippery slope I guess.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
The truth is no one is being replaced.
Both Disney and Sesame Workshop (and eventually the Jim Henson Co.) realize that at any given time a Muppeteer might be under contract to be working for one of the other companies. And each company has to protect their investment by having a backup Muppeteer if the star performer isn't available.

Example, Steve is hired to do Wembley for the new Fraggle Rock movie.
And at the same time Disney calls saying they want Kermit to make an appearance on 'Good Morning America' and Sesame Street needs him to come in and do Ernie.

It can't be done, true most of the Muppeteers aren't working most of the time, but none of these companies are going to end up delaying a project because a Muppeteer might not be available when they call.

That is the reason for looking for occassional replacement Muppeteers.

Whatever

Reaction score
OverUnderAround said:
Well, I think these new guys won't really be cheaper,
because they have to be members of the acting union.
As a matter of fact half of these guys have already
performed with the Muppets in the past and work only union,
just like Steve, Bill and Dave.
Do you mind explaining where you got this information from?
It sounds a lot like speculation to me.

Stulz

Reaction score
?

DevonMiles said:
exactly, which is what has been missing for quite sometime now. I'm only very happy to say that we will begin to see that inner soul of the characters again.

Just curious:

How do you happen to know all this info about the replacements?

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Whatever said:
Do you mind explaining where you got this information from?
It sounds a lot like speculation to me.
Hi Whatever, I'll explain what I can.

Well, as far as the pay goes, union miminum varies per contract, so minimum salary could be $500 a day, so they are not cheap to hire. But again that varies based on the contract and the project. And if the Puppeteer has an agent to represent them, then they make a cut above mimimum.

As to the other info, I can't reveal my sources.
Just like when you watch the news on TV, news reports are based on sources.

The final eight or nine who ended up auditioning are a mix of current Muppeteers and some newbies to the company. I understood Disney treated them to 7-days at Disneyworld and they were very well liked by Disney. And everyone got along splendidly together.

Danny Horn

Reaction score
DevonMiles said:
That was the reason they want people to think; however, not the actual reason.
The Muppets have been on a downslide for quite sometime now; lets face it guys, the proof is in the pudding. Disney is very particular about their performers and staying true to original characters. After analyizing these characters and comparing them to the way they were once performed, lets just say they were not too impressed. Their action, to recast the central most crutial Muppet characters.
It will be a slow transition but the better voices and performances will be seen more now than the current performers who have been.
DevonMiles, who are you, and why are you speaking for Disney? If you're going to say things like "Disney doesn't like the current performers", you should back that up with some kind of source. Otherwise, it looks like you're just making stuff up.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
My only statement on this point of Devon's post is:
Disney is very particular about their performers and staying true to original characters.
Diz destroyed Doug, and have forsaked their own characters (Mickey and Company) for many others, mostly story book characters (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Mulan).

The fact that MHC has no idea what to do with The Muppets worries me more than who's performing what.

I'm also not under the impression that they don't like the current performers since it was not among what they mentioned to any of those attending the auditions or in other contacts.

While it's not necessary to cite sources (because most folks don't want to be responsible for causing someone else to lose a job or friend), it is necessary to point out if you're making an opinion or not because when you are on the internet folks can't hear what you're typing and what you write could be mistaken as soemthing else.

Danny Horn

Reaction score
Kevin, I appreciate what you're saying, but I think it's absolutely necessary to cite your sources.

Devon said, "That was the reason they want people to think; however, not the actual reason."

That implies that Devon somehow has access to the innermost secrets of the people at MHC. If he can't back that up with a source -- at least a general sense of how he knows people at MHC -- then it looks to me like it's just a lie.

I've looked at some of Devon's other posts, and about 50% of them are about how much he hates the current performers -- Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, Matt Vogel, Kevin Clash. The other 50% are about buying knockoff Sesame Street and Muppet puppets on Ebay.

It sounds to me like Devon wants to be a Muppeteer, and he's taking out his frustration on the performers. It would be quite a coincidence if it turned out that the person he "knows" at MHC just happens to have exactly the same opinion that he does.

If he's just pretending that he knows what Disney's motivations are, then that's very irresponsible. Asking people to cite their sources for backstage information is a good way to weed out people who are lying.