Fraggle Rock Philosophy

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering many of the songs refer to music being what keeps the world alive.

Why is this?

Beau

Frags

Reaction score
Basically, music is one thing everyone in the world has in common. Everyone listens or feels some sort of music. Different countries have their own traditional music and areas have their own folk songs. Groups have their own sort of music - and everyone will listen to other music and sometimes say 'I like it' - even deaf people can feel music - they can feel the rhythm and actually move to the beat - everyone has music. Music is one factor that could possibly bring us all together.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Music grows, in the rose...

...let me be your song...

...do the stuff you've always done before, and do it, do it, do it like before...

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Frags hit that nail on the head.

In the "Down at Fraggle Rock" special, Jim says that the universal harmony of music is the reason they made sure to have a number of songs in every single episode (something that must've been EXTREMELY difficult, what with the writing, memorizing, and recording all on a production schedule).

Manda:-D

Reaction score
And let us not forget that the treasure of Fraggle Rock is, in fact, a song. Like Frags said, there's the universality of music, how, even if you don't understand a word of the language, you can still love a song. There's also just a broader sense of living in harmony that FR has, that belief that we are all a part of one massive song: there are many different harmonies and many different instruments, not to mention a massive number of voices, but the differences is what makes the song all that much more beautiful, so long as we learn how to blend our voices in harmony.

Magellan

Reaction score
oh man, its such an awesome comcept, i love it!

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Also of note is the fact that Cantus, the leader of the minstrels, often takes on the role of the Fraggles' spiritual leader (Festival of the Bells, song of songs).

Also there's the fact that Cantus possesses knowledge and understanding beyond that of all other Fraggles, such as the knowledge of Gorg lore in relation to the test of the royal kazoo, not to mention his knowledge of why Doc can't see Gobo. How does he come to understand things which seemingly no Fraggle would have knowledge of? The only answer that comes to mind is the fact that he is the Fraggle who best understands music as chief unifying element ("music makes us real"), and thusly he understands things outside of the Fraggle realm because of the universality of music.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

luvtosr

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Also there's the fact that Cantus possesses knowledge and understanding beyond that of all other Fraggles, such as the knowledge of Gorg lore in relation to the test of the royal kazoo, not to mention his knowledge of why Doc can't see Gobo. How does he come to understand things which seemingly no Fraggle would have knowledge of? The only answer that comes to mind is the fact that he is the Fraggle who best understands music as chief unifying element ("music makes us real"), and thusly he understands things outside of the Fraggle realm because of the universality of music.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
And the way he came to understand the music? By listening, of course! To understand something you have to take the time to listen to it.

Another lesson from the book of Fraggle I think.