All Female Jug Band on Sesame Street

Frodis

Reaction score
Hey all,

Does anyone recall an often shown street segment on Sesame Street with an all female band just outside of Hoopers Store? They played a song using kazoos and washboards and other jug band type instruments. I remember a woman having a puppet-like wooden figure on a stick with hinged legs. She would use the stick to make the puppet "dance" on a plank of wood. At the end of the song, I recall the wooden figure coming loose from its stick and falling off the plank to the ground just as the song ends. Anyone remember anything else about this segment? Anyone know who the band was?

Frodis

dustinrn

Reaction score
YESSSS i remember parts of that!!!! I remember a song and a figure on a wooden stick but i don't recall the preformer(s), whether they were male or female. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this shown maybe only like once or twice back in the very early 80's? The only reason I remember it so well is because I really wanted one of those wooden figures on a stick after seeing that. I'm afraid, that, too is one of those long lost clips that will never resurface again.

dustinrn

Reaction score
Was the lady also singing some weird line like "yak-a-tak-a-yak-a-tak-a while the wooden figure on a stick "danced"? If so, thats mainly the only part I remember. Maybe I only caught the tail end of it. For what ever reason, I thought some man like James Taylor was doing the singing and the "dancing" of the figure. And I also thought the skit took place on the rooftop of 1-2-3 sesame street. Maybe I'm just recalling 2 skits and combining them?

Al Hempker

Reaction score
I remember this clip vaguely. I remember the ending shot with the wooden figure lying face-down on the pavement. Was Buffy not involved in this skit somehow?

Frodis

Reaction score
Yeah that's the type of thing I was referring to. Thanks for the link!

Frodis

mikebennidict

Reaction score
the group i'm pretyty sure was a folk trio called The Roaches. i mentioned them in the SS guest appearances thread where there a link to it in the post about Richie Havens.

sesameguy

Reaction score
Yes, I remember them! They did at least two other segments besides the stick figure dance number. One was another song called "Keep on the sunny side," performed in the "tire swing" area beside 123. The other was actually a film segment! From what I recall, it began with the trio moving to the farm to get away from the noise of the city. They sing a version of "Old MacDonald," realizing at the very end that there's a lot of noise on the farm, too!

I'd love to find out who they are. I'm not certain that they're the Roches. I don't know if any of the Roches can play a fiddle or a washtub like the girls in the segments did. A visit to the Roches' website doesn't mention any "Sesame Street" appearances. If I'm able to figure it out I'll let you know!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
the reason why i'm pretty sure this is them is because i remember back in the early 80s when the original Soundstage was running and i saw a promo for and upcomming episode and it made me think these ladies must be the ones who on SS years earlier. unfortunatly i don't know any songs by them most folk acts aren't like other music people who have the commerical success as those in the rock, pop world.