African Alphabet

Frogster

Reaction score
I was wanting to know if anyone knew the lyrics to this song... and I hope people realize that I'm not talking about the alphabet part of the song, but you gotta admit, that does sound funny. I'm talking about what Kermit says when the Indians are in the back saying the alphabet (Quietly Rest, Sleepy Tiger, Under the Vinetree at the Waterside). I have the song, and I'm the type of person that doesn't sing to it unless I know the lyrics. Thanks...

Beauregard

Reaction score
Amazing, beautiful creatures dancing, excite the forest glades... ... and X marks the spot 'neith the yellow moon where the Zulu cheif and I did hide.

I know that much.

I also have the MP3 if you want it.

roadrat15

Reaction score
"amazing beautiful creatures dancing excitement forest glade in my bark house i do jump like the kudo listen to the muisc how nice the organ plays quietly rests the sleepy tiger under the vine tree at the waterside and x marks the spot neath the yellow moon where the zulu cheif has hi-did-hide."

hope that helps ya! :smile:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Just turn on the closed-captioning on your TV and you'll find out while watching it. :wink:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hope this helps you Frogster. Gonna do this in dual dialogue, the letters are sung by the African Alphabet tribesmen.
A: Amazing, B: Beautiful, C: Creatures, D: Dancing.
E: Excitement, F: Forest, G: Glade.

In my
H: Heart how, I: I do, J: Jump like the K: Kudu.
As I
L: Listen to the, M: Music so N-O-P: Nicely Organ Played.

Q: Quietly, R: Rest up, S: Sleepy, T: Tiger.
U: Under the, V: Vine tree by the, W: Waterside.

X: And X marks the spot.
Y: 'Neath the yellow moon.
Z: Where the zulu chief and I did hide.

Tribesmen: Unandi. Unandi hey cami cachey.
Rrrrrrrrrrr.
Hey K'man.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hmmm. I thought it was meant to be roughly a sentence, in which case, why did it say "Amazing beautiful creatures dancing excitment forest glades." I always thought it went, "Amazing beautiful creatures dancing excit the forest glades"

Is the African Alphabet song meant to make sence?

And is it Kermit singing it, or just Jim Henson's voice with a different puppet?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the song is supposed to make sense if you listen to it closely.
Yes, it's Jim voicing Kermit who sings his part, while the African Alphabet tribesmen sing the backup parts.
Hope this helps and have a good day.