Change for a dime

SesameMike

Reaction score
A film of two boys who find some money and decide how to spend it. Here are the parts I remember as best as a 3-decades-old memory can assemble.

Note: In my description, I will ID the boys as B(black) and W(white), as one boy was African-American and the other Caucasian. This is only because I can't remember their names, though I think one was Joe or George.

One boy has 5 pennies. The other has a nickel. They go running off through some city streets to go spend their loot.

B: (spots a dime in a storm drain) Look down there, that's a dime. That's worth as much as we got. (reaches through grating to retrieve coin, but can't squeeze through) I'm too big, you try.
W: (manages to grab dime) Share and share alike. You found it, but I got it.

(The kids run across the street on one of those crosswalks with lateral lines painted across. They come to a "corner store" type place with a friendly shopkeeper.)

B: Can you give us change for this dime?
SHOPKEEPER: Change for a dime, eh? I think I can take care of that. Change for a dime, change for a dime (keeps repeating that line as we watch him go back into the store and retrieve the change from one of those old-school cash registers. He takes the change and finds two hands out waiting.)
S: Now here's 5 pennies, 1,2,3,4,5 which is 5 cents. And here's a nickel, which is also 5 cents. For a total of ten cents. Change for a dime.

(Each boy now has a nickel and five pennies. They head for the gumball machines outside the store.)

W: I think I'll spend my pennies first.
B: I think I'll spend my pennies first too.

(A fast-motion sequence of the boys working the gumball machines to a Nickelodeon-style piano sountrack)

W: (with one penny left over) What should I do with this one?
B: I don't know, it's your penny.
(Camera zooms in on an ice cream vending machine)
W: I know, I'll get an ice cream!
B: With a penny? Ice cream is ten cents. A one and a zero. That's 10 cents.
W: You mean we can't get an ice cream?
B: Sure we can. You've got a nickel, right? I've got a nickel, right? Two nickels is ten cents.
W: (Attempts to put a nickel in the ice cream vending machine) Hey, it won't fit!
B: The machine only takes dimes. So if we give the storeman both our nickels, he'll give us a dime.
W: We'll be giving him change.
B: You got it.

(The boys exchange the 2 nickels for a dime from the same shopkeeper as before. No words are exchanged, and he hands them the dime immediately)

B: (At the vending machine) What kind of ice cream do you want?
W: A Fudgsicle.
B: "A Fudgsicle, coming up!" (as he takes from the middle of the three square doors)

(The boys walk down the street as they take turns licking the fudge pop. Eeew, though I might have done that when I was their age.)

W: Hey I almost forgot, I still have one penny left.
B: Come on, George, you can save it for tomorrow.
W: Maybe if we look around, we'll find another dime, or even more.
B: Could be, George, could be!

(Boys walk off, to some soft closing music)

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember that cool skit. And yes, I believe there was a fast foward scene where the kids were getting gumballs.

And did you notice how cheap gumballs and ice cream were back then? Only one penny for a gumball and 10 cents for ice cream? Definitely not like the vending machines we see today. Gumballs are 25 cents and ice cream is a dollar or more.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
thank you sesamemike!!!!

Holy cow, I thought I was the only one old enough to remember this one (they actually ran it as late as 1982). You described it to a T! This is definitely one for the time capsule- penny gumballs and ice cream for a dime!
(And even though they don't show it, soda in tin cans and glass bottles!)

Too bad once inflation came along this clip became obsolete. But man oh man, thanks for the trip in the time machine! That really takes me back! :big_grin:

Xerus

Reaction score
Also, today's vending machines can accept anything from nickels, dimes, quarters, and even dollars, and can give you your change back.

But the ice cream machine the boys tried to use wouldn't accept 2 nickels. Just dimes.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Fan fiction

If the "change for a dime" film were done today:

(B has 5 dimes, W has two quarters. They look into a storm drain and see a Sacajaweea(sp?) coin)

B: Hey look down there, that's a buck, that's worth as much as we got. (reaches into sewer grating) I'm too big, you try.
W: I got it.
B: You mean WE got it, right.
W: I said, I got it.
B: But I found it.
W: So? Posession is nine-tenths of the law.
B: What ever happened to share and share alike? GIVE ME THAT COIN you duckhead (wrestles it away from him). Now lets get change for this dollar coin at that store across the street.
W: As soon as all this traffic clears (SUVs, police cruisers, trucks that have only an advertising banner etc. whiz by)
MAN ON CORNER: Hey kid, if you wanna spend your doller a good way, try this (holds out a joint)
B: No way, mister (pulls W away. They back into a woman in high heels and a leather mini-skirt)
WOMAN ON CORNER: Hey boys, if you're looking to spend some money, I can make you guys into men. (notices it's just a dollar coin) For a BUCK? Ehhh, get outta here.

(Traffic finally clears long enough for them to dart across the street. They enter a chain drug store stands on the corner)

B: (to man behind front counter) Can you give us change for this dollar?
STOREMAN: (a teenager with dyed hair, multiple earrings and at least one tatoo visible. Talking on his cell phone) Yeah..... But I still think the version on the X-Box is better.. What level did you get to?...
B: I said, can you give us CHANGE FOR THIS DOLLAR?
STOREMAN: (oblivious) ... I just got the CD yesterday... What?.. Nahhh, I don't think so.
B: (Pounds on counter. Storeman looks up) CAN YOU CHANGE THIS BLASTED DOLLAR!!
(storeman points to a sign on the wall that reads "No Change Without Purchase".
B: C'mon, let's get out of here. (they walk out the door and down the street)
W: They have change in the arcade there.
B: Are you kidding? The machine only gives tokens.
W: I think there are change machines in there...
B: Sorry man (chuckles), you gotta be 18 to go in there.
W: Really?
B: (hiding a smirk) At least that's what they told me before they kicked me out last week.
W: Hey there's a laundromat. We can get change in there.
B: Yeah. (they walk in, insert the coin, and you hear the avalanche of coins. Now each boy has 5 dimes and 2 quarters.)

W: I think I'll spend my quarters first.
B: I think I'll spend my quarters first too.

(They find a bank of gumball machines. no fast-motion here; how long can 2 coins take?)

W: Hey, why did I only get this chintzy rubber millipede? The front of the machine shows a Spiderman banner.
B: Yeah but look at the fine print. "Other items available" Spidey is just one of many things in the machine. Besides, I didn't make out too well myself. I mean look at this, 6 lousy Sour-Tarts for a quarter?
W: Well that does it for me. What should I do with THIS one?
B: I don't know, it's your quarter.

W: I know, I'll get an ice cream.
B: With a quarter? Ice cream is a dollar. A one and a decmal point and a zero and another zero. That's $1.00 .
W: You mean we can't get an ice cream?
B: Sure we can. You got five dimes, right? I got five dimes, right? Ten dimes is a dollar.
W: (attempts to put coin in slot, keeps falling out) Hey, it won't stay!
B: The machine only takes singles. So if we give the storeman all our dimes, he'll give us a single.
W: But the sign said they won't give change. (pause) But we'll be giving him change.
B: And that they allow.

(boys re-enter the store and jingle 10 dimes on the counter. The storeman hands them a single without missing a beat from his cell phone call)

B: What kind of ice cream do you want? (pause) Oops, I was wrong. The machine only takes debit cards.
W: So if we give the storeman our single, won't he give us a...
B: No. It doesn't work that way.
W: (spots another vending machine, this one with a fogged glass panel and those rotating coils to dispense the goods) How about that machine?
B: That machine takes singles. Now then, what kind of ice cream do you want?
W: A drumstick.
B: No way dude. We both gonna be eating off this, and a drumstick can be kinda messy. Besides, what am I asking you for? I'm payin' for half. Try again.
W: OK, a Dove Bar.
B: "A Dove Bar, coming up!" (slides dollar bill in machine. It slides right back out.) That is, if I can get this stupid thing to work. (tries to smooth out bill, and re-enters it) "Take two: A Dove bar, coming up!" (the machine accepts the bill) Let's see, Dove Bar is E 6. (presses the buttons. The coil rotates but the Dove Bar gets snagged)
W: You should have said "Dove Bar, going down". It's stuck in there!
B: Hmmm, OK, you grab that end, I grab this end. At the count of 3, shake it. 1,2,3 (They rattle the machine enough to get their ice cream to drop)

W: I forgot, I still have another quarter left.
B: Come on, Goerge, you can save it for tomorrow.
W: Actually, I'll save it for longer than that?
B: Why?
W: Take a look at it. It's a Minnesota quarter, with an imperfection in the state outline. It'll be worth a real lot someday.
B: Could be, George. could be.