Muppeteer headband microphones

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
My advice is don't use inexpensive wireless microphones. They rarely work well. Sony does make some decent wireless packs for DV camcorders that cost $200-300 each you can plug a lav mic in to.

rtgentry

Reaction score
do you find that lapel mics or head set boom type mics work better?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think either can work, it has more to do with the quality of the mic and it's pickup range.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
We found a GREAT deal. I'll post the link to it on Monday!

Johnny Fiamma

Reaction score
I'll save you the typing, Fozzie. :excited:

We just found these on Amazon last night. After doing a bit of research, I decided it would be worth the investment.

Hisonic System

Of course, I then found it for a bit less here. I'm not going to worry with it for the $18 difference. (Shipping and Handling is around $18 at Amazon for this item for 5-7 day delivery.)

What sold me on it, aside from the price, was the fact that each mic has it's own individual output. This will work great for multi-track recording and eventual 5.1 mixing. (Is it blatantly obvious yet that I'm Fozzie's production editor? :zany: Poor him. :stick_out_tongue: )

Good to be back on the forums again!

-Tim

gfarkwort

Reaction score
so.....would you plug that system into your DV camera? Or how would you record it?

Johnny Fiamma

Reaction score
Actually, you could input it into your DV camera, but you won't have the multitrack mixing capabilities because all of the mic inputs would be combined to just one digital audio track on your camera. (Plus, you'd also have the limitations of max frequencies your camera can record.) This is why I'm outputting directly to the computer.

You know, though, you have me wondering something...

Since this system has two combined outputs (where all four mics are outputted to one outgoing signal) and four individual outputs, I wonder if I can output to both the camera and the computer at the same time? I'll have to play around with this when it comes in. If it does do it, I'll be able to match the tracks up easier in post-production.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
oooo, so thats cool.....so you just plug it into your computer and record on a software like Final Cut....or you just create sound files on your desktop?

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Microphone Pics Again

Here are the mic pictures again: (I still believe the Muppet Show mics were something other than lavaliers due to the size and the mysterious wire loop over the top of the foam block covering the mic.)

Frank Oz
Jim Henson

Fraggle Rock: (Note the difference in the mics, the Fraggle Rock ones are lavalier mics, they are clamped in a machined aluminum block at the end of the sculpture wire. This was done so each studio they were at could attach their own mics. I was informed of this by Mike Quinn.)

Fraggle Rock 1
Fraggle Rock 2
Fraggle Rock 3

It still would be great if anyone has information regarding the Muppet Show mics.

P.S. The headband cantilevered microphones are actually very good to use, I do suggest building your own. The reasoning is that when you are turning your head to various monitors and such, the microphone moves with you. As apposed to having it attached to your shirt, where when you move your head the volume fluctuates due to turning away from the mic. Also having the headband setup keeps the mic from rubbing against anything, such as your shirt.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Is that our own Terry Angus in the 3rd FR pic on the left??