Sesame Street Unpaved

Pumpkinhead

Reaction score
Anyone have this book? I've been dying to have a look at it.... It's out of print so I'll probably have to search online for it.... I hear it's a great reference book. And I must have it! :concern:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Pumpkinhead said:
Anyone have this book? I've been dying to have a look at it.... It's out of print so I'll probably have to search online for it.... I hear it's a great reference book. And I must have it! :concern:
That book is awesome!!

For those who aren't familiar with Unpaved it's sort of a hybrid between Jim Henson: The Works and The Muppet Show Book (from the late 70's). The book includes a TON of info on old school Sesame Street...from lost characters to the show's history to famous sketches.

Most importantly, it explained why I never saw Roosevelt Franklin on the show even though he was part of my Fisher Price Sesame Clubhouse set.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Look on Ebay. Thats where I found it. I'm glad to have it now. Since I'm a big fan of old school Sesame Street I had to have it. Its fun to look at and hope you find it.

Censored

Reaction score
They really should issue a second edition of it. It's a great book, but there were a few errors in it and some characters, like Herbert Birdsfoot, were excluded.

Fiery Princess

Reaction score
My best friend and I bought this book in 2002 from a local bookstore, I think we bought the last 2 copies they had. It is really a great book for me because I am part of the "younger" Sesame Street generation so I don't remember much up to the mid-90's; this book gave me some insight to all the greatness I missed. I agree that is should have a second edition released...since I've gotten older, I haven't been able to keep up with all the changes and I would love to compare the two and see how much Sesame Street has evolved over the many years that it's been entertaining us all.

Dshibshm

Reaction score
I read that there is a 2002 reprint, but I can't find it..

Grundgetta2800

Reaction score
That book is awesome!

For those who aren't familiar with Unpaved it's sort of a hybrid between Jim Henson: The Works and The Muppet Show Book (from the late 70's). The book includes a TON of info on old school Sesame Street...from lost characters to the show's history to famous sketches.

Most importantly, it explained why I never saw Roosevelt Franklin on the show even though he was part of my Fisher Price Sesame Clubhouse set.
I just finished reading Street Gang... I might like this book even better. According to street gang Roosevelt Franklin was pulled because middle class African Americans became offended.
If memory serves me correct, there was also a TV special on called Unpaved and had Bob McGarth (Bob) on it.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I just finished reading Street Gang... I might like this book even better. According to street gang Roosevelt Franklin was pulled because middle class African Americans became offended.

I don't think the complaint was just limited to those who were middle class.

Grundgetta2800

Reaction score
I don't think the complaint was just limited to those who were middle class.
You're right, there were others who complained. They continued to run it for awhile, because the majoriety of the views didn't care. It was only when members of the middle class black demographic complained did they actually proceed with pulling it. In the case with Roosevelt Franklin, the character's voice was provided by Matt Robinson, who was a writer for the show and the original Gordon. If memory serves me correct, RF was his idea. The show was aiming to reach a certain group of viewers, and by bringing forth this fresh little guy who talked in jive, kids of that demographic would learn better. My husband, who is black, however, saw the sketch, (The one in the classroom with the country of Africa), degrading and downright embarrassing.