Muppets risk of less promotion

beaker

Reaction score
Rather than continue to churn out new Muppet-related product, Disney will just concentrate on making the most of the movies & TV series that the Jim Henson Company had already produced. Using the might of the Mouse's marketing department to turn these previously existing properties into significant moneymakers for the Disney corporation.

Wow, even if this is speculation...this aint good. Even tho the Muppets were floundering over at JHC at least they had an identity. The puppets arent even neccesarily going to be puppeted/voice by their signature performers soon.
With absolutely nothing interesting about this Oz film, how could the ratings be that good? It will be a sad sad day if the Muppets are once and for all relegated to the back of the nostalgia closet. Perhaps then, Muppet fans worldwide can get the b*lls together that the Farscape people did and actually rally againt this. Thankfully Sesame Street isnt under this kind of threat.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Three words: Spec-u-lation.

I believe Ain't it Cool News more than Jim Hill and that's saying alot.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Am I missing something? I think this is excellent!

Rather than continuing this degradation of the Muppets, putting them in corny, outright stupid productions, Disney is opting to produce merchandise from the stuff we already know is great. Seems like a win-win situation to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cantus Rock said:

Rather than continuing this degradation of the Muppets, putting them in corny, outright stupid productions, Disney is opting to produce merchandise from the stuff we already know is great. Seems like a win-win situation to me.

Yeah... this sounds pretty good to me as well.... I mean, considering how "Oz" looks....

beaker

Reaction score
So keeping Muppets on life support by living in the nostalgic past? As much as some of us might have not liked MFS...or KSY, or AVMMCM...these were all original, non classic retelling features.

WOCKA2416

Reaction score
Cantus Rock said:

Yeah....stopping any new Muppet projects is a great idea! (sarcasm, of course). :wink:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
beaker said:
So keeping Muppets on life support by living in the nostalgic past? As much as some of us might have not liked MFS...or KSY, or AVMMCM...these were all original, non classic retelling features.
If Disney is set on making profits on the Muppets' backs, then I would much rather that than new productions to further their already far removed measure of quality.

The Muppets are already on "lifesupport" even with the coming TV movie. People already see the Muppets as a figure of nostalgia due to the quality of the productions. The past is where all the good lies (TMS, FR, TMM, etc.); the recent stuff is gaud.

You really want more cheesey, charmless Muppet spots like the Pizza Hut commercials? There was a time when Muppet commercials were as cool as all Muppet productions. Now, the Muppets can't even do a good 30 seconds.

Like I've said before, all I wanted was the Muppets to make a gaceful exit from the mainstream due to the disgusting drop in quality since Jim's passing and Franks departure. That wish is no longer possible. Now all I want is for the Muppets to salvage what little charm is left and leave the scene with it. We, the true fans, are the people that will properly keep them alive: not Disney. So if they are already going to make money off the Muppets, this is the safest way to go about it. Playsets can't do nearly as much damage.

beaker

Reaction score
Cantus Rock said:
You really want more cheesey, charmless Muppet spots like the Pizza Hut commercials? There was a time when Muppet commercials were as cool as all Muppet productions. Now, the Muppets can't even do a good 30 seconds.

Like I've said before, all I wanted was the Muppets to make a gaceful exit from the mainstream due to the disgusting drop in quality since Jim's passing and Franks departure. That wish is no longer possible. Now all I want is for the Muppets to salvage what little charm is left and leave the scene with it. We, the true fans, are the people that will properly keep them alive: not Disney. So if they are already going to make money off the Muppets, this is the safest way to go about it. Playsets can't do nearly as much damage.
Yeah, I actually do like the Muppet commercials...why? Because they ar eplaying themselves. I have a big problem wiht Muppets playing *other* characters. The Muppets are pretty much underground, and have been.
If the Mupepts were mainstream, youd have countless thousands on here.
Freaking Farscape has a way more active fanbase. Muppets as a fandom is underground, even if the Mupepts/Sesame is recognized by most people on the planet.

Anyways, you are right in a point that I also made...in that, in 2005 there will become two Muppets. The Mupepts from 1955-2004...the one the real fans recognize, and then this shell of themselves, AKA the Disnified era.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
MUST I REMIND ALL OF YOU THAT ALL OF 99% JIM HILL'S STUFF IS JUNK...NOT TURE, ZERO!!! :grouchy: so stop it you guys! :eek: :cry: