I finally made a puppet!

SesameKermie

Reaction score
In case you haven't figured it out by now, I consider myself a crafty person. I knit, crochet, do basic sewing and am learning quilting. Anyhow, I stumbled across this site in a fit of inspiration. I decided that I was going to make a puppet.

Here's the product of my work: George the cat

http://photos.yahoo.com/gayjaybird

Let me know what you think!

Jason

Erine81981

Reaction score
You did a good job. Alot better then what I would of came up with. But keep up the good work. Now make a throw around version to where you can make like he jumps behind something then he pops up. Then a full body version. Thats if from me. Good luck.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
That looks great. A very interesting and original puppet. I've never seen a knitted puppet before but its great and very cute!

biblebetty

Reaction score
too cute

that is so cute!!!!!! you did a great job. I knit and I know that must not have been easy. but good job.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for your comments!

Actually the concept wasn't that hard. I found a link for a sock puppet "recipe" on the internet and followed it. For those that understand a little about knitting, The puppet is kind of a combination of a sock and a mitten. The crown of the head is the heel of the sock, and the lower Jaw is the "thumb" of the mitten. The arms were just tubes that I knitted and sewed together, and then I free-form crocheted the hands, working scallops for the fingers. The ears are just triangles. Add some stuffed animal eyes, doll glasses, and some floral wire, and Voila!

Here are the links I consulted:

Karen's Puppet Recipe

Hand Puppet Puppies

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I really do like that! That's cute, funny, and fun! Great job!

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Knitted Puppet

Muppetsdownunder said:
That looks great. A very interesting and original puppet. I've never seen a knitted puppet before but its great and very cute!
The only other hand-knitted puppets I've seen were on a locally-produced public access show in my hometown. (Textile people could argue that most of the fabric used to make the skins of puppets is knitted.) They had some characters called the "knit-wits" who looked like someone added eyes to a knitted ski-hat with the pom-pom for the nose.

Has anyone else seen or made any "unusual" puppets? I mean the ones that are made with different techniques or materials than what is commonly used: foam, fleece, etc.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I made a Crow from MST3K out of the same found objects that they used for the show (Bowling pin, tupperware, hockey mask, soap dish, etc.) I don't know if that's really what you were thinking of.

Oh, and I was one of the early people to do this -- not when it became all the rage a few years ago. :wink:

Steve