Arm Rods?

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
The handles look to me to be backer rod (foamy insullation stuff you can get at Home Depot) attatched with gaffer's tape.

Treelo

Reaction score
The rods are just wood dowels, painted black. A groove is drilled about 3/4 of the way down the dowel (using a milling machine, or something similar) - at the end of the groove, a hole is drilled through the rod, and a slot (about an inch long) is drilled back up the dowel on the opposite side. The rod is fitted into the slot, and is pulled through the hole and bent back up the other side to stabilize it. The whole thing is then wrapped in gaff tape. It takes a bit of work, but the end result is good.

hennesprod

Reaction score
Arm rods

I have been using 2/56" steel rod used in RC model airplanes, and you can get it with threaded ends for removal from the hands of your puppet.

I love RC stores, you can find lots of good stuff there!

William

shtick

Reaction score
hennesprod said:
I have been using 2/56" steel rod used in RC model airplanes, and you can get it with threaded ends for removal from the hands of your puppet.

I love RC stores, you can find lots of good stuff there!

William
Exactly how big is 2/56" and what lengths do they come in?
What RC stores do you get them from, okeh?

:rolleyes:

hennesprod

Reaction score
rod and RC stores.

These controll rods for RC aiplanes come in different lengths and are usally used as control rods for the planes rudder and such. One could get them in a larger diameter if so desired. As far as how big it is, I am trying to think of a comparison. Ok, here is one. The ink tube in a ball point pen. They are bit smaller than that. Infact, it would fit in side one in most cases.

You just need to look in the phone book or on the internet for RC parts and look for control rods. I use a local hobby shop here in town for all my stuff.

Does this help?

shtick

Reaction score
hennesprod said:
...you can get it with threaded ends for removal from the hands of your puppet.
But if you use a threaded end, won't it come off if you turn the rod to make the hand move? :confused:

hairyvangoph

Reaction score
Has anyone considered making rods more invisible than metal rods? I've always wondered how a clear plexirod would work, but have never gotten to experimenting with them. Would stage lighting draw attention to them, or would it not?

Jinx

Reaction score
Plexi has been used as arm rods, and usually ineffectually. Plexi, or actually acrylic rods tend to be pretty brittle, and they do catch, reflect and refract light every which way calling undue attention to themselves.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
hairyvangoph said:
Has anyone considered making rods more invisible than metal rods? I've always wondered how a clear plexirod would work, but have never gotten to experimenting with them.
Unless you're going for uber realism then an invisible rod isn't neccescary, and if you do want ultra realism then perhaps think again as to why you're using puppets rather than actors.

Of course you could always use internal rods if you're keen on very clean lines. I know Hands Up Puppets wanted these for their characters The Softies as they didn't want anything that wasn't 'soft' on the puppets! Think that makes sense...sorry, long day!

Best,
James