Muppet Family Christmas Rights?

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
hey gang,

I just got back from the Library here in town and I took out the dvd of "a Muppet Family Christmas" (that columbia released here a few years ago, I have the old 1995 Disney release but I wanted to see it in dvd) but any who they have a large... ok not sooo large (more VHS tho) about 60 or so dvds, Disney, Disney/Pixar, some dreamworks, Paramount, Muppets, Sesame Street, Fraggle dvds etc. But mostly Disney & Muppets any who let get back to my question here.... Now that Disney owns the word "Muppet(s)" does Disney have the video/dvd right to release "a Muppet Family Christmas". Wouldn't make it hard for Disney to release? I mean Sesame Street Muppets (c) Sesame Workshop, The Muppets (c) Disney/Muppets Holding Co, and Muppet Fraggles (c) Henson/HIT? would thay have to pay Sesame Workshop and Henson?

help.....any one? :confused: :confused: :big_grin:

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
Wasn't there an issue with royalities for some of the carols in MFC rather than the cast - but I can see how all the characters broken up could make it difficult: we'll probably never see another production like it in terms of number of characters from different shows...

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Harvey Towers said:
Wasn't there an issue with royalities for some of the carols in MFC rather than the cast - but I can see how all the characters broken up could make it difficult: we'll probably never see another production like it in terms of number of characters from different shows...
I believe you're correct. The carols in MFC were originally only licensed to air on broadcast television. For the special to be released on DVD, Disney would have to pay additional royalties to the copyright holders of those songs.

Unfortunately, Disney is unlikely to spend that much money on a 1987 TV special that heavily features non-Disney characters.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Ohh no no no... I know all about them storys that that you guys told, i just wana know Who owns Muppet Family Christmas dvd rights? Henson? Disney or Disney/Sesame Workshop/ & Henson? thats all! :crazy: